Worst Tree on Lot

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I ran to the store for supplies for work. This time of year I have to go though garden section. I came across a Elberta peach, it's trunk so twisted and crooked almost s shaped. I thought the tree had a sculptural look to it. It was only $20 I kept going back and fourth about buying it. I know with the trunk it willn't be a long term tree, but hoping for a few years.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not one who buys the worst looking plant to try to save it. I guess I have enough problems trying to save the perfectly healthy ones, once they come home with me.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get it. I'm always drawn to the 'unusual' things.
So did you buy it? If you have the $20 to spare - what have you got to lose? It might die from transplant shock - or it might suprize you and be a conversation piece for years to come.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you staked it, wouldn't it be all right for years to come? Some of us are a little crooked and we are doing just fine!

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't grown to be sculptural? That's a technique growers use on a lot of ornamental trees, I don't know why it wouldn't work on a producing tree.

And surrrre, NYboy, I bet you have to walk through the garden department! We all use that old excuse!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a tulip tree on clearance at Lowes last fall. $5.00. It died in the late winter, cus we had a frost. Tossed it aside, cut of about 5' of the trunk to make it easier to take to the dump. Forgot about it. A few weeks ago, there is the root ball with about a foot of new growth! So its ALIVE afterall!