Would Someone Check The Sky, Please?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another little thing that'll help you zoom in on a spot in the sky is...

well, on your left hand, put your thumb and index finger together. See the angle at the very end is about 90 degrees? Now do the same with your right hand, thumb and index finger together.

Next, put your right hand's set of thumb-finger together with your left hand's set of thumb-finger. Your index fingers should be aimed at each other, touching, making a straight line. Your 2 thumbs will make a partial circle. well, does for this ole neanderthal.

There should be a small square opening between those 4 DIGITS. ( :gig )

Now put that small opening up to your best eye. You can adjust how small it is by squishing your digits together toward the opening.

This becomes your SPOTTING SCOPE.

Yep

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well . .

. Imma goin' . .

. out there again!

Send somebody after me if'n you don't hear from me in 3 weeks!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, sure . . . well after sundown!

I don't think I can blame it on the hazy horizon.

The little vacuum has a black plastic tube but I'm not about to put that thing up to my eye, unwashed! Patience is all that is needed for the night's darkness to descend altho' it will soon be too close to the sun to see at sunset. Trying again tomorrow looks problematic what with a 59% sky cover thru the afternoon and a 50% chance of snow in the morning.

Hmmm. It's gonna snow and the temperature is gonna be below zero??! Hmmm . . .

Steve
who just realized that he could have taken the binoculars out to try to find it at 2:30. of course, that would be cheating . . . :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has hit 30f each of the last 2 days! Warm . . . and will be warmer. 34 tomorrow but there will almost for sure be snow on the ground over the next few days. The storm that is just rolling over the Cascades looked like an ice skater with fire in his hip pocket! A little too scattered to amount to much, tho'.

I was busy on October 9th when the Juno Spacecraft shot by, at what I believe is over 23,000mph! Probably didn't look over my shoulder at just the right moment ;). Juno had been launched in 2011 and was back to be sling-shot towards Jupiter. It will be orbiting Jupiter in July, 2016.

NASA released this video a couple of days ago with images from Juno on its flight past Earth!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CzBlSXgzqI[/youtube]

Steve
who had to turn down the volume, music by vangelis

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It should be interesting when it gets back.

Have you heard of the Mars-One project. Supposedly NASA is building a huuge rocket that's going to send some people to Mars and start a settlement there. The rocket is supposedly supposed to be there by 2024, I believe. Ordinary people can sign up to be part of the Mars settlement. I have no idea when the rocket is supposed to launch.

Anyways, this is just a story I found floating somewhere on the internet... :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It won't be coming back, 'Seed'.

Juno is supposed to make some orbits around Jupiter, then be sent on a collision course into the planet.

This October flyby was just to wave, "bye!"

Steve

Latest posts