Would someone please post a pic of how you support your pea plants....

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i have mine planted next to a picket fence and i need ideas on how to get them supported. ie; strin 'em to the fence? attatch some small metal fencing to the wooden picket fence ?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
peas%20Small%20800.jpg

I just grow them up a wire fence thing that I move around. There are lots of weeds in the pic... but it's the only one uploaded at this time. They climb themselves.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanx Silkiechicken, do they jist reach over there themselves once big enough and grab a holt the fence ?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, once they get tall enough they reach over and grab the fence. If they tip the wrong way, I just stick their tops through a hole and they figure it out. I put peas on one side early in the season and fill in the gaps with pole beans for late summer harvest.

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use a square tomato cage that I folded out to be a zig-zag line.
It's kind of hard to see in the picture.

garden2-1.jpg

They look alittle sad and sorry in this picture but they came back (it was after a cold night)

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanx Anny. Raised bed gardening...i like it. Jist up till last fall before we moved into here i did all my gardening in pots on porch and in my driveway.
I don't know how to act(or do other things yet) now that i have real ground to till and sow in LOL

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
haha you can't see it but on the end of my drive way I have a bunch of pots and containers full of strawberries and blue berry bush and herbs. I made the raised bed this year cus the soil in that spot sucks, but it's my only sunny spot in my whole yard.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anny said:
haha you can't see it but on the end of my drive way I have a bunch of pots and containers full of strawberries and blue berry bush and herbs. I made the raised bed this year cus the soil in that spot sucks, but it's my only sunny spot in my whole yard.
Oh, i'm still gonna use all my pots 'nat Anny lol they are all full o' good Miracle grow dirt and i've allready got grape 'maters sproutin on the plants in some of 'em. 'sides, that way i don't have to restrict my plants to jist my garden.I like havin plants all around the house and i refuse to grow flowers. If ya can't eat it, why waste the dirt. lol
Thanx for the idea for my beans, yer mater cage gave me an i dea to use some old concrete re-enforcing fencing and bars i had layin 'round. I'll be transplantin my second crop o' peas next to these ones in 'bout another weak er so. In fact, i'm gonna start more pea crops staged all around the garden fence. Can't have enough of 'em in the freezer ya know. lol
Gonna finish the bean rows to the left o' the peas with more stagered plantings soon also.

Picture014Small-1.jpg

Now if only i knew what kind o' beans i planted so's i could know if i need to support them or not.
Janet started 2 different kind o' seeds and didn't mark which was which lol.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine is the same concept of the others. I plant them at the base (2-3 inches) of a wire fence. Use a big enough wire that you can get your hand through it to be able to pick from both sides of the fence.

Latest posts