Wow, who knew coldframes were so expensive?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The great thing about the cold frame idea is that you can use almost anything. Last year I found an old dresser and used the drawers covered with windows. Just remember to prop open the windows on sunny days and you are good to go. I have a few fancier ones that we made out of large wooden crates, etc. but I always seem to need more space- so it is make do!! I grew almost everything from seed last year-it really enhanced my gardening experience! Think spring!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow!? OMG!

Yeah, I was just given 28 double paned wood windows from someone I found on craigslist. I gave them some wildflower seeds and they offered us the windows! I'm going to build a cold frame for sure, but the rest is getting put aside for the greenhouse project we're bound and determined to start this year. :D

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I ordered a four tier mini greenhouse from amazon for like 70 and although our climates are different it is working nicely. I have had some brocoli seedlings in it through this cold snap and they are still alive. maybe it could work for you

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, I really want to build a green house with old windows, too!! I collected a bunch and ended up building a sun room for the chickens- but I really, really want a green house. Keep me posted with your progress. I would love to see your ideas. Thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
vfem, I really want to build a green house with old windows, too!! I collected a bunch and ended up building a sun room for the chickens- but I really, really want a green house. Keep me posted with your progress. I would love to see your ideas. Thanks!
I stole some ideas from Mother Earth Mag... for any one who wants to give it a try.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/How-To-Build-A-Greenhouse.aspx

I have metal roofing panels too from my husband's job. (He does those 100 year guarentee roofs).

We have so many ideas... but first, we are being a ready to assemble shed and building the green house onto the south facing wall.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
lesa said:
Any pictures of your chicken's sunroom? :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
lesa said:
Any pictures of your chicken's sunroom? :D
Oh yes.... agreed. :p

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eeesh, crazy walmart!

Yes, build one, it's not hard. If you know any place doing a tear down or remodel of an old home, you can get window panes for free. Or try your local trader's guide or craigslist. With some scrap lumber and some wood screws, you can build a big ol' coldframe for nearly free!

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Count me in too - ready to build my own cold frame and forget walmart!! :tongue (Especially since my indoor cat keeps knocking over the seedling trays I have on the windowsill.) Scrap wood on the sides cut at an angle and windows attached with hinges on the top - can't wait for the snow to melt! :celebrate

Latest posts