Wow, who knew coldframes were so expensive?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will post a pic of the chicken sun room tomorrow... We threw it together last winter during the January thaw. It was at that point, that I realized those chickens were not going to start walking in the snow anytime soon!!! I think it really benefited them- gave them a lot more space and kept them out of the wind.

Secondtimearound, you don't even need hinges.. you can just set the window on top and prop or remove as needed... Before it gets really warm I just put a piece of wood under the window and between the box, just for a little ventilation. When the sun gets warmer, I remove the window entirely and put it back on around 4pm, before the air gets cold....Counting the days till spring!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you have wood frame windows... all you need is the metal L brackets to screw into the corners and then metal corner strips... maybe $1-$2 each but it will make everything much more 'sealed' just run a bead of caulk.

I can't WAIT to get ours together... hubby had to fix a broken toilet this evening, so we'll be picking up the windows tomorrow or Wens. Only tomorrow if he's home before I have to goto Yoga!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I live on an old farm--the 5 acres were kept by farmer#2, to "feed" his retirement business of fattening up young steers during the Spring/Summer/Fall--and I have a number of old, wooden framed windows. I've thought about cold frames built from these for about a year, but it's making it's way further up my "to-do" list, which is EXTENSIVE! :p
Does anybody here think I should bother painting the wood before/after I assemble, or should I leave it alone?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't bother painting them. I don't leave them out in the weather after cold frame season is over and so far they are holding up fine. If you have time and want to make them fancy, that is fine- but not a necessity. Enjoy!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are pics of the "sun room" we built for the chickens. We should call it the snow room. As you can see, we used old windows and a shed roof. It has worked out great for the chickens in the bad weather. Inside it has hay on the ground and some nice old trees for roosting. It did use up most of my supply of old windows- so I didn't get my greenhouse last year!

5947_jan_10_011.jpg

5947_jan_10_012.jpg

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I live on an old farm--the 5 acres were kept by farmer#2, to "feed" his retirement business of fattening up young steers during the Spring/Summer/Fall--and I have a number of old, wooden framed windows. I've thought about cold frames built from these for about a year, but it's making it's way further up my "to-do" list, which is EXTENSIVE! :p
Does anybody here think I should bother painting the wood before/after I assemble, or should I leave it alone?
I always try to paint BEFORE putting anything together. It's always easier before the what ya macallit gets assembled, nailed together, whatever. Sometimes I don't and I always regret it later, when I am painting it...I blame the "extensive to-do list" that we all seem to have. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yeah, bid, I was kinda leaning towards painting it before assembly. I'm a bit of a "paint-o-holic", 'cause I buy mistints when they color appeals to me, even if I don't have a particular project in mind. I'm thinking, though, white would be the best choice in this case, to reflect the light.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I'd leave it alone... total old world charm right there for free!!!! :D

Latest posts