Reaction score
This actually got built:

skinny-1.jpg

Take a tour via YouTube here (click)!

Steve :/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Says it was in memorial for his parents' family who died in the Holocaust. A remembrance to hiding in a closet for weeks at a time?? :/

Even the video made me feel claustrophobic. NOT my thing! :sick

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't quite understand the transition between the model & the real . . . house, Journey.

The important thing was allowing light in but somehow it looked like they turned it around to where the light was supposed to come thru the entrance. I must be mistaken.

The best scenario is that light comes in the bathroom and over the bed.

Could it be that the under 30" part is in the bedroom? With better stair-climbing skills, I think I'd be okay with the stairwell being only that wide but even a living room sofa is wider than 30". And, to have to crawl across the foot of it . . . well, I guess it would be doable. Criminy! I wouldn't be able to have any arms on my over-stuffed chairs!!

DD has been talking again about buying a house. I'm all in favor of it but I would so much like her & SIL (& Garbanzo) to have a new house. And, it can be small . . . This from a guy with beyond-code structures on his lot -- I'm in favor of "going up" with smaller. A small footprint with spaciousness around the home is the route I would go and might yet go in my life & times.

No, Poland's Narrowest House wouldn't be for me but I can see an open interior and high ceilings as going well with smaller rooms. I've only a couple times lived in houses with a 2nd story - I prefer them!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I guess there goes the loveseat! :lol:

I guess the angled roof if turned just right would let light into each level.

Interest rates are low right now, so I can see where your DD would be itching to take advantage of that. Around here (and I'm sure most everyone can say the same) you can't drive 1/2 a mile without seeing about 3 houses for sale. I have some new neighbors paying $950/month to rent a house that was up for sale at $140,000. I can't see doing that. I hear coal miners really don't have much job security right now though, so that is probably why.

I think every young person would be wise to start out small. And a decent house payment sure beats throwing your money out on rent, especially if you plan to stay put for awhile. We took a 30-yr loan on our little farmhouse so that we could pay off school loans for now (and car is already paid off), then we'll start snowballing that (once medical bills are paid off) and hopefully pay the house off in about 15 instead. That's the plan, anyway. We could even refinance and get a better rate than we have now, but we have no equity in the house at this point, so I'm not sure that will work out. My husband hasn't had more than a yearly token raise and no promotions in 6 years with the economy where it is. That would sure help move things along. He is certainly overdue for one.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was with my SO we lived in a 10,000 house with a ballroom overlooking the water in Westport Ct.. We lived in the kitchen and bedroom. The only tmes other rooms where used was when company vsited. You could not believe the money just in up keep. I now live in a tiny cottage and love it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am confused by the use of space. They used ladders any way. Why waste all that ground floor space on the stairs? Very cool, though. Easy to clean I bet!

Latest posts