Yellow squash problem....

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It isn't too many on one plant. As a general rule they won't produce every bloom anyway because they won't get pollinated. If you have been getting a lot of very wet weather that is probably your problem. Vineing plants like that are big fans of large amounts of water. They will come out of it, just give it a little bit of time.

Hobby

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Tutter....sorry about the fires! Are you in danger where you live?
Actually, we are right in the thick of it. We are already packed, in case an evacuation order is given. There are 54 fires still burning in my county alone, currently, mostly with no containment. The smoke is very bad, and has been graded as: hazardous. :th You can't see one traffic light ahead of the one you're at, in town. Thanks for asking. :)

As for there being so many squash, just think, baby squash are a delicacy....big bucks in restaurants. Treat yourself to a gourmet delight of young squash, and you will have thinned with less pain! :cool:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sooooo sorry about that!!! If you need a "vacation" I have a spare room!!! Do you have somewhere to evacuate to? That all sounds so awful! I can't imagine living on the edge of danger like that! :(

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Aww, thank you; your spare room sounds great! :) (That you have a garden, and can cook, is icing on the cake!) :D

Actually, no. There are a lot of fires burning in N. California right now, from 8,000 lightning strikes last weekend, and anywhere I might have gone is also a bad place.

One of my biggest concerns is for my animals. I have goats, dogs, cats, 2 caged birds, and, of course, the hens, plus 28 3 week old chicks. I need a livestock trailer badly, just for times like these.

I'm just trying really hard to think positively. I know, one day I was looking forward to summer, the next....surrounded by forest fires!

So, are you going to pick some infant squash? ;) (My favorite artichokes are really tiny ones, which I call infant artichokes. If you can get them, be sure to ask me for the ultimate infant artichoke recipe. Simple, but unforgettable.)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never grown artichokes but simply LOVE the dip you can buy made from them.
I am going to pick a few squash and cube and fry along with my new red potatoes (stolen out of the bed, couldn't resist) and some herbs.

I wish I could help you....very frustrating! Is the government at all concerned and helping folks? How are you doing with this level of air pollution? This is just not a problem we have around here and I never thought what a person would do in this kind of situation. I don't have as many animals as you but it would still be difficult to find a place to put them if one had to evacuate. Very scarey and worrisome! I will be praying for you and yours that you will be safe and get to stay in your home. :fl

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, they do make a great dip! The little ones are also nice because they are chokeless.

Mmmmm, sounds good! :)

It's pretty hard to breathe; I'm using medications to help with it. I did order an air filter with a HEPA filter, which should be here in a day or 2, and hope that it will make a difference.

Even the healtiest people can't do much physical activity, and people have their houses sealed down tight. There's still smoke inside, but it keeps it down. I can tell when someone goes out the door because I begin choking immediately. It's also very bad for the voice/throat and eyes, which hurt and burn constantly, and feel dry and gritty. When this is over, I'll probably have to wash the curtains and such, as this isn't a pleasant woodsy smoke smell, it's very acrid and unpleasant. I'm glad that it's not something you have to worry about.

Thank you, they are very much appreciated. :)

Latest posts