Yellow striped cucumber beetle

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My just sprouting seedlings were covered with the nasty cucumber beetle. I had some pyrethrum. They did not like being sprayed but I am not sure it will do the trick. I will check in the morning. The label did not mention this pest as one the pyrethrum would take care of. But it was listed on an organic site as effective. I shall see tomorrow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used pyrethrum on cucumber beetles. It worked fairly well but there were a few still around after the first shot.

What I've read is that pyrethrum puts them to sleep. If the sleep is deep & long enuf, they are goners. Otherwise, they wake up after awhile and go back about their business.

I doubt if they will can get lucky that way very often.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have spinosad and did not use it because SCB is not listed as a target pest. I will use it today if they return. Thanks

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used pyrethrum and the beetles returned. I used spinosad and again they returned. In defense of the products that I have used successfully before, they were both a couple of years old. They may have worked however. There may have just been a new hatching of the beetles. The benefit of organic products is that the poison dissipates very quickly. SO I HAD THIS IDEA! I was yanking out some oregano plants and could not help but notice the pungent smell. I researched oregano and the oil is being used in other countries to control other beetle pests. So I put the oregano in the food processor with water, sifted out the leaves leaving the green odoriferous liquid and put it in a spray bottle with a little organic dish soap. I sprayed the plants and the cucumber beetles went running. They did the same with the 2 other products that I used. It slowed them enough so I was able to squash them. So I do not know if they did not like the odor or if it killed them. I would not take the chance of leaving them alive. The plants have bounced back this week so the other products did reduce the population of pests. It is supposed to rain tonight so the oregano will not last either. I will continue with my experiment if there is any improvement in the pest population. Any thoughts from you knowledgeable gardeners and biologists?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who?

I think you did great, Cat!

Keep on experimenting but don't give them a chance if you can help it. Your plant's defense is important.

Did you know about the similar origins of the words "guard" and "garden" . . ? I mean, anyone can find and exploit plant populations. Casting seed about may or may not pay off months later with a harvest. Guarding your garden is a whole lot of what it is all about.

Steve ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great idea, Cat. Keep us posted. I swear my cukes were in the ground for 10 minutes, before I saw the first beetles! Grrr....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It rained pretty well last night. I went out early this morning and there were some cucumber beetles on my curcubits. I sprayed with my oregano concoction and squished. There were definitely fewer pests today. One interesting thing I did note was a dying SQUASH BUG! I did not wait and see if it died-I squished it. But can you imagine if I have found a home remedy that kills squash bugs??? This afternoon-NO PESTS!!!! Going out to check again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spinosad is one of those biological insecticides, Cat'.

We are spreading an insect disease! I know that sounds pretty strange but this is the same stuff that is given orally to dogs to kill the dog fleas.

Both Bt and Spinosad gets into the bug's digestive track, interferes with things there, and the bug starves to death over time. Feeding off the plant is supposed to stop.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
neither of the products that I used listed cucumber beetles as a target pest. They were much improved tonight but not gone. I did find a VERY DEAD SQUASH BUG!!!!! YAY! for that.

Latest posts