YIKES! My borage grew '4' Feet' tall!!

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This was the first time I grew borage in the garden for pollination; and, I am shocked how tall & wide they got.

Speaking of pollination, I still have TONS & TONS of bumble bees hanging around the pole green beans.

I had LOTS of bees doing their job in my garden this year.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I had no idea what a "borage" is and Googled it. Pretty flowers! How invasive is this plant and how easily does it spread? I have enough unwanted things growing in my garden without intentionally planting something that gets out of control....lol

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Borage for the first time this year. I planted it between my tomatoes, supposed to make the tomatoes really sweet. It certainly did attract bees! It grew a lot taller than I was imagining. By now, it is kind of flopped over. I am going to harvest seeds and plant more next year.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Borage is usually considered a fairly vigorous self-seeder, in general, but I have no idea what it does in TX specifically ;)

Pat

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I accidently gave someone borage with another plant I dug up for her ..wow will I never hear the end of that one!!! LOLOL!!!!!

I love the stuff and think it is beauitful but here where I live it can invade and take over really easily so I now keep it contained and wack it down before it goes to seed!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Borage can really be a rangey plant, I love it, but it's got to be kept under control. The seedlings are so easy to pull I don't consider it a pest, however. I've actually got a bunch of seedlings out there that sprouted after being dropped this season! So I'll have a nice fall crop of borage until frost. Bees absolutely adore it, that's the main reason I grow it - plus the blue is just lovely!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight, please come to my house and teach my borage how to behave like yours do! I only had one volunteer seedling this year. Is it just me, or is it true that if you WANT a plant to spread it won't, and if you don't it will? :p