YIKES! My borage grew '4' Feet' tall!!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Probably my favorite use for it is using the flowers as a garnish on say a dessert . . . very pretty. You can add the flowers to beverages too. And add the leaves to salad.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Can you eat it? Or make some sort of tea from it?
The flowers are lovely in a salad, an edible, with a mild cucumber flavor. You can put the young leaves in salad, but I don't know about when they get big, they're kinda raspy!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
davaroo said:
Can you eat it? Or make some sort of tea from it?
The flowers are lovely in a salad, an edible, with a mild cucumber flavor. You can put the young leaves in salad, but I don't know about when they get big, they're kinda raspy!
"Raspy," I love that word :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
HiDelight, please come to my house and teach my borage how to behave like yours do! I only had one volunteer seedling this year. Is it just me, or is it true that if you WANT a plant to spread it won't, and if you don't it will? :p
it is true!!! the bad part is it is all through the woods around my house ..that ..english ivy and morning glory are awful invasive around us

If I say the world borrage to my neighbors they grumble!

it is very good in salads and I love the flowers as well

funny I think our climates are different there is kind of a line between us weather wise maybe?

we have strange weather pockets here

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've found either borage likes your garden or it doesn't, there's no middle ground! I planted it for several years before it took hold.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

I found my chickens just love it, especially at the end of summer when it is just setting seed. Very convenient that, as it keeps it from becoming a beautiful thug. It can get out of hand but it is easy to pull out. There is a white flowered version too & the two look lovely together. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
just had to google it too! this is sooo pretty and has many uses. think I found another to add to my list of wants. :throw

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau -- I guess I will have to be more patient! It is good to know that persistence should pay off. :)

HiDelight -- yeah, I live on a relatively high ridge and we do get more extreme weather here . . . colder and hotter, as well as windier, than most other spots around. Plus the soil isn't the best and we have a LOT of sun exposure.

Borage is supposed to be able to take drought, but I noticed that the only self-seeded one I got came up where I regularly water. I'm not sure how well it will work in my droughty herb garden where I'd like to grow it some day. :/

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got a mess of borage seed this season. Ill remember to plant it out in a wild part of the yard next year, not far from the main garden...

Latest posts