You know what I hate about ordering chickens??

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm kinda hoping that we get a Barred Rock! It says that they're docile and friendly... which is what we want.

I just hope I didn't get too many hens for the 1 roo... It would be a total of 7 hens for the 1 roo. And HOPEFULLY he's a nice roo!! :lol:

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OH NO, if you ever hatch any you will get addicted!! Caution! I have 120 right now trying to sell! BUT, not as many as last year! Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most people mean Barred Rock when they say Plymouth Rock, but there are a lot of different colors and patterns of rocks. Plymouth Rock could mean any of them, not just the Barred ones.

Seven hens are not too many for one rooster. Don't worry about that. Seventeen hens would not be too many.

I did a quick look at their site but I'm not sure I'm reading it right. I think you can add Rhode Island Reds and Golden Buffs to your list of possibles. Their Golden Buffs are crosses between Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. I got some roosters from that cross last year and raised them for meat when I got my Speckled Sussex rooster and Black Australorp pullets from Meyer.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I already looked at those two as well... they're not available for the 29May shipment either. (I found a wiki article that had a LOT of different breeds LOL)

I guess I will find out for certain in a month or two, eh? LOL

I will be certain to take pictures as soon as I get them home and post them!

I can already tell that I'm going to be hopelessly addicted to chickens... LOL I will probably sell some of the chicks...

One thing that I forgot to do was have them vaccinated... does that mean that I need to give them medicated food??

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You do not have to give them medicated feed. I don't and have never had a problem. But some people do. It does not hurt them to get medicated feed, but often it is not necessary.

There can be different "medicines" in medicated feed. I think it is good practice to check the label and see what the medicine actually is, but it is practically always Amprolium. Amprolium inhibits the protozoa that causes Coccidiosis from breeding in the chick's gut. In the dosage in medicated feed, it does not kill off the protozoa but just reduces the number that breed. The chicks need some of the protozoa in their guts so they can develop an immunity to it. Some protozoa is not dangerous. It is when the number of protozoa gets out of hand that you get problems.

There are different protozoa that can cause coccidiosis and they have different strengths. It's possible you can feed medicated feed and they still have problem with coccidiosis. Immunity to one variety of cocci protozoa does not give immunity to all varieties of coccidiosis.

The problem usually occurs of the brooder or run is wet. The protozoa can live in wet chicken manure. If the brooder or run is wet, the chick can eat the poop and get a large build-up of the protozoa in its gut. Usually a fairly dry brooder controls this but there are some really nasty versions of that protozoa.

I actually take some dirt from the chicken run and feed it to the chicks after they have been in the brooder for two or three days, partly to give them grit but also to introduce any probiotics or cocci protozoa that might be there. This lets them get immunity while they are still young.

Amprolium is not an antibiotic. It only works on Coccidiosis protozoa. It does not wipe out beneficial organisms in their guts like antibiotics do. It does not hurt them at all to eat medicated feed. You can feed it if you want to.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, there are two possible types of vaccinantions. If you are talking about the vaccinations for Mareks, medicated feed has absolutely nothing to so with that. If you are talking about the Coccidiosis vaccinations, you are not supposed to feed medicated feed. Medicted feed can wipe out the vaccinations.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... I guess I better ask them if they vaccinate for the Cocciciosis... LOL

I was speaking of the Mareks vaccine. Does that matter? The only ones they will be exposed to are each other... and of course the ducks later on. I'm going to do my very best to keep their run dry. It drains pretty well tho, so, I don't think that's going to be a HUGE issue.

Do I need to offer the chicks grit from the beginning or just when they go outside? I guess I better get out my Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals again and read up on chickens, eh?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Well... I guess I better ask them if they vaccinate for the Cocciciosis... LOL

I was speaking of the Mareks vaccine. Does that matter? The only ones they will be exposed to are each other... and of course the ducks later on. I'm going to do my very best to keep their run dry. It drains pretty well tho, so, I don't think that's going to be a HUGE issue.

Do I need to offer the chicks grit from the beginning or just when they go outside? I guess I better get out my Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals again and read up on chickens, eh?
In my opinion getting them vaccinated for Mareks is a great idea. For the $0.16 per bird it is worth not ever having to worry about that horrid disease. If you did not get them vaccinated for Cocci, then in my opinion, the medicated chick starter is the way to go. When they are little, they are pooping in a confined area walking around in it, pecking at everything, checking everything out. Why take chances? But again, that is my own opinion and what we do.

As far as the chick grit goes. They need to have that available if they are eating anything "other than" the chick starter. If you are not going to give them any treats, they are fine without it.

Can't wait to see pics when they come in!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... unfortunately... I can't add it to the order. :(

Unfortunately... our bank account is sitting a nice big fat goose egg until hubs gets his check. It was SUPPOSED to be there tomorrow... but apparently we're not getting it direct deposited this time. :/

Do you think my vet would do it?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Most vets don't actually deal with livestock these days. I doubt they'd even have the vaccine on hand. I know you can buy them at the feed store, but it's usually a vial with enough for hundreds of chicks, so probably not an option. I've never had any of my chicks vaccinated, and never had any problems.

Latest posts