You Shoulda Grown That!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What was it? What do you wish you had in your 2021 garden, but didn't?

@ducks4you says that we should be shopping for our 2022 seeds. I've been looking at the Restoration Seeds website - they put the emphasis on offering seed that will grow plants for Seed Savers and seem to offer more varieties each year. I'm unsure about recommending them since I have only ordered a few things from them on 2 occasions. There were no problems with those seeds :)!

I regret not having orach in my garden for several years. Leaving the garden (new property owners) where it volunteered for me for years, not saving seed, growing what I hoped would be the "right" varieties from Baker Creek, searching, searching online ... still, unsure how I'll replace the one I had!

What happened to me growing Maruba Santoh? Nice green, quite mild enough for a salad. I was pleased to have both Komatsuma and Senposai in the garden, this year. Senposai ?! That's a hybrid ... so I can't save the seeds!

:D Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

@ducks4you says that we should be shopping for our 2022 seeds. I've been looking at the Restoration Seeds website - they put the emphasis on offering seed that will grow plants for Seed Savers and seem to offer more varieties each year. I'm unsure about recommending them since I have only ordered a few things from them on 2 occasions. There were no problems with those seeds :)!

I regret not having orach in my garden for several years. Leaving the garden (new property owners) where it volunteered for me for years, not saving seed, growing what I hoped would be the "right" varieties from Baker Creek, searching, searching online ... still, unsure how I'll replace the one I had!

What happened to me growing Maruba Santoh? Nice green, quite mild enough for a salad. I was pleased to have both Komatsuma and Senposai in the garden, this year. Senposai ?! That's a hybrid ... so I can't save the seeds!

Just MORE pumpkins.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

how about going to the new property owners and explaining that you'd like some plants from them? worth a try from the amount of missing your writing above seems to indicate. :)

of course, my previous whining indicates i'd have really wanted a different tomato.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My one will be funny, just more zucchini or summer squash. Don't know why, every year I will see people complain they have too much zucchini, even neighbors don't want to receive that. For my garden, these three years the same, different varieties, similar result --> female flowers are much much much more than male flowers. Sometimes I need to use a small container to keep male flowers in the fridge, to use in another 1-2 days, sigh.

Till now i just harvested maybe 8 from 6 different plants :rolleyes:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wanted some pepicha, papalo, more cilantro, culantro too, Job's Tears and roselle. But I had maxed out the seed budget so had to nix a few. Also, I occasionally shun certain plants in spring trying to stick only to what I can save seeds for, then regret sets in around July. Some things I continually fail at but wanna keep growing (or trying ) like cotton and culantro.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My one will be funny, just more zucchini or summer squash. Don't know why, every year I will see people complain they have too much zucchini, even neighbors don't want to receive that. For my garden, these three years the same, different varieties, similar result --> female flowers are much much much more than male flowers. Sometimes I need to use a small container to keep male flowers in the fridge, to use in another 1-2 days, sigh.

Till now i just harvested maybe 8 from 6 different plants :rolleyes:

are you short on full sunshine?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
This season we did not plant any pumpkins or winter squash. Yes you heard that right,what were we thinking. They both are low maintenance and can be harvested all at once at end of season. Last time we make that mistake.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Given how hot and rainy this season has been (and how poorly the corn seems to be doing), a part of me wishes I had planted watermelons where they are instead.

Beyond that, it's sort of hard to say. Space is always at a premium, as are wire cages (to keep the critters from eating the seedlings) so anything I want to add usually means something else has to go. I am drowning in seed that I know I should plant but that is perpetual.

There is also the fact that planting more doesn't necessarily work out to getting more crop. I COULD have planted more tomatoes, but given that the ones I did haven't produced anything, it's hard to think more would have made the issue better. Ditto beans (plus more beans means no herbs, and herbs are one of the few things I can count on)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It took awhile but even I am seeing prices start to jump in my neck of the woods. Wood shavings were $4.50, now $6.50/bag. Glad I started stocking up last month for this winter. JUST got my hay/straw in the loft, as we WILL have a shortage of it this winter. I even got 1st cutting! :weee
NO...curly dock...seeds!!!!!
EVERY American who has NEVER THOUGHT to grow vegetables will be competing with US for stock.
I will be showing you'all when I get my seeds in the next few months.
PLEASE do the same, while they are available and affordable.
OR
Learn to/DO save seeds from this year's crops.
2022 will be, as they say, "a Cluster xxxx!"

Latest posts