Your Catalogs for 2020!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I already have the onion catalog from Dixondale Farms.

And, the new HPS seed catalog arrived, yesterday! What are you seeing new in your mailbox?? (It's early. They really shouldn't be there just yet. I mean, we need the days when we are trapped indoors and not a sunshiny ☀ day like there is in my outdoors, today ... but, I'm a little sleepy, having not done a good job in taking advantage of the welcome switch off DST ;).)

HPS targeted customers are usually commercial growers so many of the packets are large. However! This seed company is in the Jung group and the Jung's catalog often have the same varieties in smaller packets. For example, a new pepper in HPS that caught my attention is Just Sweet (link).

:) Steve
edit to include HPS (link)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i look at things on-line, but when i do buy from anyone i make sure i am not on their catalog mailing list because i don't want the things to throw away or to have to recycle them. i don't use them. i don't even look at them.

we get a weekly paper that is dropped off at the end of the driveway. it takes me less than 5 minutes most of the time to go through it and read any of the articles that are of interest. i.e. most of the items in there are not things i care much about. at least that is a non-glossy paper that i can use for smothering weeds (an extra layer under cardboard) or use over the more persistent weeds at the bottom of a trench. through the winter i build up a stack under my bookcase and then it gets used up again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Generally, but not always, I save catalogs from one season to the next. When new versions of the ones I order from arrive, the recycling guy can have the old one. If I haven't ordered from that outfit for a few years and I'm off their mailing list, I may save the old copy for ages!

Let's see. R.H. Shumway ... which was on the nightstand in the 1960's is gone :( but let me check while I'm sitting here ... out of the first 7 catalogs that I see, 5 of them I have never, ever ordered from! The percentage might be even more skewed because I have thrown some directly in the recycle bin. So, I have been a customer of 30% of the catalogs that show up in my mailbox? I doubt if 30% of my regular mail is anything that I want to look at. Let me suggest that mailing costs must be too cheap.

The seed companies' webpages are seldom very easy for me to use. I want to compare. Varieties and something new are a good part of my passion for gardening. Scrolling through names with prices, even if there are pictures, offers little opportunity for comparison. Also, a single webpage with one item on it doesn't either. I find myself doing multiple, multiple, multiple clicks until my interest has been lost.

Not only can I carry a paper catalog to the nightstand but most anywhere else I want it. Many items with their descriptions appear on each page. Flip it over and offerings are there, too. Go back the next day and they are all quickly found again! These things aren't the old Montgomery Ward's catalogs.

Olde School Steve ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Osbourne catalog arrived. Look at these pages of radicchio.

IMG_20191109_102905.jpg

A problem is, I don't care for radicchio!

;) The good stuff :rainbowflower is the escarole ;). They are on the next page over.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I prefer paper catalogs too for the same reason. Flipping back and forth in a catalog or laying several open to the same vegetable for comparison is much more convenient than looking at a screen.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ole school here too since I too love seeing catalogs. Unfortunately I seldom order. I'm surprised they still keep me on their list. I do order from Baker Creek just because of the free shipping! haha

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20191127_142904.jpg

Fedco catalog arrived, today. Such a strange thing!

Perhaps nothing captures the strangeness like their use of images from the distant past. Of course, they are comfortable writing their own captions.

Low budget catalog but a long time in the business. Not everything is low-cost but most is. Generous amounts and a broad selection

Steve

Latest posts