Your favorite Hen breeds?

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SO tell me what your favorite breed is and why, please.

Also, not sure I want a rooster. Any thoughts on NOT having one?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first chickens I started out with were RIR's. They are cold hardy and good layers. Everyone told me they were unfriendly, etc. I did not find that to be the case. They are beautiful, healthy birds and I still have a few of them out in the coop! If you like the unusual- I would recommend the easter eggers. I just get a thrill every time I get a green egg! (Doesn't take much to make me happy!) I also have buff orpingtons, and black australorps. They seem a little flighty compared to the RIR, but they are lovely birds. I have never had a rooster. I am in city limits and it is forbidden. If I had a farm I would have one, just for the fun of hearing it crow... but you certainly don't need one. I just got my catalog from McMurray and have been drooling over the gorgeous choices! Worse than a seed catalog! Let us know what you choose. Enjoy your chickens!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
First about the rooster.

The only reason you NEED a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is personal preference. Some people like the way a rooster sounds when it crows. Some dont. That could be a problem in a suburban area.

Some roosters add to predator protection, but I find that tremendously over-rated. Many do look out for hawks and such, and some will fight a predator and give their life to protect their flock. But most of mine lead their flock to safety instead of putting themselves between the flock and the danger. Some roosters do become human aggressive, but I find that is pretty rare. It does happen though and kids eyes are often within easy reach of beaks, claws, and spurs.

Some people find chicken sex really brutal. If you cannot accept that a rooster is going to mate with his hens, you should not have a rooster. Some people experience problems with over-mated or barebacked hens. I find this a problem only when the chickens, both hens and roosters, are adolescents. I do think the hen has some responsibilities in upholding her end or the mating process. I have never had this kind of problem with mature chickens, only immature chickens.

As to which breed.

What are your goals? Why do you want chickens? Eggs, meat, eggs and meat, manure for the compost heap, pest control, pets, to show, for 4-H, is it just something cool to do, or something else? My recommendations for breed would mean practically nothing to you unless we share the same goals.

I raise mine primarily for meat. And I like to play with the color and pattern genetics. I get a lot more eggs than I use. The excess eggs go to church where people donate what they consider a fair amount for the eggs with the money going into a special fund. In previous years , the money has gone to the Heifer Foundation, clean drinking water for Haiti, or a senior citizens center here in Arkansas. Im not sure where it will go in 2012. Maybe buy the Mayans a new calendar?

Ive got a mixed flock. It is based on a Speckled Sussex rooster with Delaware, Buff Orpington, and Black Australorp hens originally, but now they are a barnyard mix. Ill be adding some Black and Blue Ameraucanas this spring to get the pretty eggs and the blue color. There are plenty of other chicken breeds that would meet my goals. Ive just gone with these.

Keeping chickens is a commitment, just like with other animals. You cant just pick up and go in a weeks vacation and it is a little harder to respond to family emergencies if those happen out of town. I have a neighboring 16 year old that is practically always home so that works for me now, but she will soon grow up and move away. Then we will have to find someone else, probably one of the children from church.

Hope this helps a bit.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like variety so I have 9 hens and 8 different breeds. My hens are all pets and have names, even though they are here to provide eggs for us. They are all dual purpose breeds except the two banties which are just for fun, even though they do contribute a bit to the egg inventory.
Breeds I have: Black Austrolorp, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Black Copper Marans, Golden Seabright bantam, Dutch bantam and 2 Rhode Island Reds.

I had a couple of different breeds also but they were insanely flighty so they got a new place to live. I'm very happy with the girls I have now.

I had a very nice Barred Rock rooster, but the other members of my family found his 3 a.m. crowing odious, so I rehomed him.

Obviously I'm not in it for production, I just like having them around and eating good eggs.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Naked necks (turkens)
Very good layers of large brown eggs year round, they are a pretty good size bird and taste great..they are friendly and easy to keep
Plus they just look different than any other breed,

Don ( a little different than most )

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom

I just noticed your signature line, and in a lot of cases it is so true.....
My father raised me to believe that if you are early you are never later..

Don

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting on the turkens, gardentoad- I will have to do some research on them...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
gardentoad said:
Naked necks (turkens)
Very good layers of large brown eggs year round, they are a pretty good size bird and taste great..they are friendly and easy to keep

They sure do look different than other breeds Don.

Ummm, I hope it doesn't hurt your feelings to hear them called....unattractive.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
gardentoad said:
Naked necks (turkens)

They sure do look different than other breeds Don.

Ummm, I hope it doesn't hurt your feelings to hear them called....unattractive.
Unattractive LOL
That's my life story

Don

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want them for layers. I will buy some cornish cross from time to time for eating. No need to raise them I think.

My thoughts from having chickens before are that my layers are my pets and I just DON'T get attached to my eaters. We name them Food or Chicken Fingers!

Latest posts