Your Favorite Lilies!

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just for fun, I thought I'd ask you all what your favorite lilies are and why. I pretty much like looking at all varieties of lily, though some are a little too fragrant for my sensitive nose, to be admired up close and personal. Yesterday I planted a few varieties of day lily (already established plants) in my newly taken back garden space - Stella D'oro, Going Bananas, Double Orange, and Jungle Princess. I hope they will give me beautiful blooms later this year! The Double Orange in particular looks to me like it will spread and bring up new plants, maybe even this year. :)

What are your favorites, and in what conditions do they do well for you? I can read what the recommendations are for individuals, but I find myself wondering about the myriad conditions where they can *actually* do very well, perhaps in conditions slightly contrary to the recommendations. Also, what make good companions for your lilies?

I will likely plant some in containers, to line my driveway across from my house - it's on the north side, but will get lots of morning and afternoon sun exposure this summer. As you can see, I'm making plans... :tools

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like looking at all lilies, and yes, lily of the valley was at the top of my shade garden list! Now I think I can get away with some more sun loving plants, but I may tuck some lily of the valley away in a shadier corner if the opportunity presents itself!

Maybe I should be more specific as ask you all to share your favorite specific varieties, since there are so many choices that fall under Asiatic, Oriental, Trumpet, Orienpet, etc. And that doesn't even cover the daylily varieties! I'd still love to hear about your favorite and best performers!

Currently I'm drooling over the pictures in the following catalog, and it's only the first one I've looked at:

http://www.gilberthwild.com/LILY-BULBS/products/20/

:hide

:coolsun

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a variety called Scheherazade that grows very tall and wide. If i got a lily that would be the one. I did transplant some pretty little trout lillies to my cabin.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE lillies. Especially the Oriental variety. Stargazer is one of my favorite. But then so is the trout lilly that has moved itself around the yard! (I think Dh's dog helps, he is always in the beds knocking off stiuff then dragging it around.)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite is Casa Blanca, a white Oriental lily. On a warm day it's fragrance breezes into the house. So nice!

A trick I learned from a customer is to plant some Oreintal and Asiatic bulds in the same hole. Since they bloom at different times you'll have a longer flower display. But only the Oreintals are fragrant.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
My favorite is Casa Blanca, a white Oriental lily. On a warm day it's fragrance breezes into the house. So nice!

A trick I learned from a customer is to plant some Oreintal and Asiatic bulds in the same hole. Since they bloom at different times you'll have a longer flower display. But only the Oreintals are fragrant.
I love that lily, and I love the name too! :love

That's a good idea. I'll admit that I'm not really sure about the whole "layering" thing - I've seen it demonstrated in containers, but for some reason I feel like all the plants must need more room than that! But I think I may just have to try it, or else my garden bed will be very flat. So maybe I'll do like you say and try putting some Asiatic and Orientals together and see how that goes. :)

Now I just need to figure out some good companion plants for my newly planted daylilies... annuals, perhaps, for some immediate interest? :hu

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lorelai said:
Now I just need to figure out some good companion plants for my newly planted daylilies... annuals, perhaps, for some immediate interest? :hu
<perk!> I've been following - but now I'm gonna be taking notes. Companions for daylilies. Hummm... something tough enough to pretty up the area where my daylilies are, when the daylilies aren't there.
computer3.gif

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Lorelai said:
<perk!> I've been following - but now I'm gonna be taking notes. Companions for daylilies. Hummm... something tough enough to pretty up the area where my daylilies are, when the daylilies aren't there.
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/computer3.gif
Daylily companions could probably be its own thread, really, but I don't want to make a pest of myself. :hide I need something to fill out the space around my new plants while they establish themselves.

To go back to just favorite lilies... right now I'm admiring all lilies that are a good, deep red, as well as white lilies, and white with spots or variegated coloring. Just gorgeous! The Orientals do seem to be the showiest, but I find myself liking the Asiatic and Trumpet lilies very much too - less achoo-ing in the name of beautiful flowers from me that way. ;) Anyone have any of the Orienpets? I've not heard of them before...

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If scent is an issue for you then chose Asiatic lilies. They come in REALLY bright colors and have no scent. They bloom before their fragrant friends the Orientals.

Personally I like having both for a 2 month bloom. Costco usually sells them at a steal this time of year. I like the Stargazers for punch in the garden. 2 houses ago I had over 300 lilies. Now I have about 60 now.

Latest posts