Your Favorite Lilies!

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
:) I really enjoy Oriental and Trumpet Lilies, but I really am liking the Double Oriental lilies. I would like to plant a few of these this Spring.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...84C4557EF401672F21192F52F7B10&selectedIndex=0
I've never seen doubles before... I flipped through a bunch of those pictures, and some I liked, but others I thought were a little strange. Example: I really liked Sweet Rosy, but didn't care as much for Broken Heart. Maybe it's the ruffles?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stella for me. Although I can't get them to bloom very long

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really like Magic Star Lily with the reddish stripes!

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have grown a lot of different varieties of lilies..Oriental, Trumpet, Asiatic etc..But my all time favorite is the old fashioned heirloom Hemerocallis "Hyperion"..The clumping grass mounds, is attractive, and gets three feet high and wide. The flower petals are like graceful wings in a clear lemon yellow color, with a nice,( not overwhelming), sweet scent..The arching petals can get around 4.5 inches across. They bloom for weeks, with a midseason rebloom. They are attractive to hummers and butterflies..And the plant does well in partial shade..It truly is a real beauty. Especially planted in mass..What a sight!!

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
barefootgardener said:
I have grown a lot of different varieties of lilies..Oriental, Trumpet, Asiatic etc..But my all time favorite is the old fashioned heirloom Hemerocallis "Hyperion"..The clumping grass mounds, is attractive, and gets three feet high and wide. The flower petals are like graceful wings in a clear lemon yellow color, with a nice,( not overwhelming), sweet scent..The arching petals can get around 4.5 inches across. They bloom for weeks, with a midseason rebloom. They are attractive to hummers and butterflies..And the plant does well in partial shade..It truly is a real beauty. Especially planted in mass..What a sight!!
Is there one like this that isn't yellow? Nothing against yellow, I just have two daylilies that are yellow and would like to diversify. I love what you said about it though! I'd love it if there were others out there that were equally as awesome and a little less yellow. :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lorelai, Catjac breeds Daylilies! She can tell you ALL about the varieties. :)

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lorelai said:
barefootgardener said:
Is there one like this that isn't yellow? Nothing against yellow, I just have two daylilies that are yellow and would like to diversify. I love what you said about it though! I'd love it if there were others out there that were equally as awesome and a little less yellow. :)
Lorelai, That is a tough one..Hyperion (1925) is one of the most popular heirlooms because of all the qualities i mentioned. But i also like August Pioneer which is a very prolific old fashioned daylily..It is also a diploid with lovely, mellow apricot colored, fragrant, trumpet shaped, 4 inch flowers. Grows about 34 to 40 inches in height. It is a late midseason bloomer which blooms for about 2 months or longer. It multiplies fast..Has attractive grass mounds..but not quite like Hyperion..

I just have a love and fondness for heirloom plants..

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Lorelai said:
Now I just need to figure out some good companion plants for my newly planted daylilies... annuals, perhaps, for some immediate interest? :hu
<perk!> I've been following - but now I'm gonna be taking notes. Companions for daylilies. Hummm... something tough enough to pretty up the area where my daylilies are, when the daylilies aren't there.
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/computer3.gif
Well, so far I'm thinking impatiens, echinacea, a shorter daisy, and some varieties of colored sage for height and foliage interest. And maybe some rosemary too. Thyme might might a pretty flowering ground cover type thing to add some sprawl. I would sneak in some lavender, but I'm not sure my area is sunny enough for it to flourish (full sun half the day, partial to shade as the day progresses).

Latest posts