Your First Frost of the Season

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
. . .Steve -- you are a diehard, eh? :) Well, I hope your early morning sprinkler work pays off for more than just the one day. Maybe the frosts will be kind and only come around when you are home to greet them! ;) . . .
. . . to the last ditch . . .

Thank you for the wish of good luck, DrakeMaiden. I'm a little tired and it was rather boring chasing the sprinklers around the garden, again.

The frost was another light one and I think that only a few flowers were burned. One sprinkler stuck there in the darkness and I didn't realize it until I turned it on again after the sun was up :rolleyes:.

I hate to be waving the flashlight around in the darkness trying to figure out what the sprinklers are doing. The neighbors already think I'm nutz . . . Of course, I hate more standing out there in the dark like some kind of imbecile until the sprinkler hits me so that I know where the water is going :p.

The veggies are 8 miles away and I suspected that the air would be warmer there and was not disappointed :). Actually, that location is remarkably windy! Wind is sometimes your friend when frost begins to settle in.

I had to rescue the veggies on the 21st and now it looks like a few warmer nights will allow some more peppers and tomatoes to ripen and I may get one more bucket of greenbeans. Never say die :cool:!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 27.5 F at the little weather station between my big veggie garden and dahlia garden this morning. The little veggie and cutting gardens were "fried" yesterday. That was a surprise but frost often occurs in the other 2 gardens weeks before now.

As our annual gardens fall one after another, it may be interesting for some to check what they can expect with 10%, 50%, and 90% certainty.

Here's a link to the Weather Service information on just such things:

Station Freeze/Frost Probability Tables for Each State

Steve

edited because I certainly forgot how to spell certainty!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
JUST checked the 10 day forcast for my town and got this:

Oct 10

Partly Cloudy
HIGH - 55
LOW - 31

This is 9 days ahead of the average of October 19th. Not too surprised, but now I need to rush to finish with any painting/late summer, early Fall projects, and of course my tomatoes and herbs HAVE to harvested before Saturday night.

Latest posts