Your impulse garden purchases?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anybody want to confess?

I'll get things started. Hello I'm Jared & Ive made an impulse garden purchase. We've been wanting to get a big shade tree for our house. We looked at some at the nursery and for a 12-15' maple we were going to have to spend $350+ to get one.

Well I needed to get milk and a new trowel (the cracked handle finally came apart) and diapers for my daughter. So I was at Walmart to get what I needed. So while I was looking for what I needed I found a bunch of trees. I've seen Walmart selling fruit trees so I didn't think anything of it. At least until I saw a maple leaf. So I HAD to investigate. They had silver maples for sale too. So this made me look even deeper an sure enough I found October Glory maples for sale. $30 out the door for a 6ft October glory maple.

My wife was pleasantly surprised and for that price I'm willing to take a chance on it. I justified it with "if it grows I saved $320.....if it doesn't do well well I'm only out $30"

So we'll see where this goes. I'd like to think I'm a good enough gardener that I can get it to thrive but we'll see.

So what have you bought on impulse?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice score Jared! October Glorys' are among the best for fall color imho.

Garden impulse buys? Are you serious? How many days have you got?

Most recently....well even more recent than that one...
There I was at Big R buying feed, when I decided I'd just wander over and take a peek at their plants, just for grins. There was a plant table with
several Smokebush on it, nice 3 gallon sized shrubs from Monrovia growers, they had the gold one and the purple ones and 4 Grace, my favorite! :love

We're pretty much into rice and beans around here, or at least we are now , because I bought 3 of them. :D Then of course I had to renovate the entire front bed to accommodate them.

Then a week or so before the Big R debacle, I was at the nursery to get some deer repellent for work and went to check out the new stuff...
6 blueberries later....

and on it goes, it's the story of my summertime life. :rolleyes:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This winter I bought way too many seeds, more than I could possibly use in a couple of years (Probably spent a few hundred dollars. But why not, playing with seeds helps me get through the winter. That and I like diversity). I stumbled through the garden center at Meijer's a week or so ago - that led to me buying flowers (columbine, pocketbook flower, and some kind of oriental poppy - nearly bought Vinca but didn't know the price and had to get out of there). Me buying flowers also led to me buying some large clay pots as I didn't have any available room to put them in. I spent a little over $100 that day, mostly on garden related items.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too! I always buy more seeds than I could plant in 10 years. And dumb stuff that I know I don't have room for, like melons, Georgia candy roaster, way too many varieties of tomatoes and squash........

My name is Baymule and I have Gardener's Disease.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think almost every plant purchase is an 'impulse buy' for me! i'm currently trying to hold back from getting new hosta and iris and probably daylilies i keep seeing on ebay. especially now that some of my plants are blooming early. and don't get me going on the fruit trees! Stark Bros has their annual clearance sale going on right now and there are some really nice prices along with free shipping over i think $85.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
pssstttt....some of the trees are at $10 each! like i don't already have enough fruit trees in the yard. i'm still trying to clear out the Norway Maples to make room for all the garden beds and fruit trees. :p

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would an 'impulse' purchase include three new hosta I just had to have after checking out the online catalog ya'll were talking about this weekend?

I may have to move the work shop a few feet to get room to plant any more of those babies. . . or just stop buying new ones.
hosta bed.JPG

The bed is well protected by a raft of reptiles. So many of my hosta are still small, still growing, but also many are small because I've been 'trading' so many of them the past few years. Hum. I wonder where the new hosta will fit?

Latest posts