Your Local Plant Icon

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure that I knew the word "icon" before the internet age. Now, it seems to be in very common usage. My computer shows icons on the monitor.

More importantly, the landscape around here is now showing an icon just about everywhere! A species of Mock Orange grows wild here. It is the state flower of Idaho. I think it is real special, altho' there is some controversy about the name . . .

Yes, it seems that it has been called Syringa since it was named for Meriwether Lewis. These days, there are folks who insist that it should be called Philadelphus lewisii instead of Syringa lewisii.
DSC00981.JPG

I'm walking past this bush every time I turn the water on or off at the little veggie garden/dahlia garden. The scent is unbelievable!

I turn on the valve on one end of this garage, then go to the other end for another valve. Across the neighbor's fence is a pink rose that is in full bloom right now. It is just an incredible experience of fragrance!

How about in your neighborhood. Is there an iconic plant?

Steve

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful flowers Steve. On my block used to be old oaks, 75-100 years old. Hurricanes destroyed them and they slowly died and had to be taken down. We lost 3 massive oaks in our yard. In the yard next door, 4 died, one of which smashed our house when hurricane Ike uprooted it. Across the street are equally massive cedar trees and yes, hurricanes took out a few of those too. Iconic. But gone.

What stands out now is the crepe myrtle tree in our front yard. DH has shaped it over the years into a perfect umbrella shape. It is bright fuchsia and we estimate it to be 40-50 years old. It is covered in buds right now, ready to burst into bloom. Here is last years picture.

Crepe Myrtle June 2013.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful tree! Wish it could withstand winters.
Beautiful flowers Steve. On my block used to be old oaks, 75-100 years old. Hurricanes destroyed them and they slowly died and had to be taken down. We lost 3 massive oaks in our yard. In the yard next door, 4 died, one of which smashed our house when hurricane Ike uprooted it. Across the street are equally massive cedar trees and yes, hurricanes took out a few of those too. Iconic. But gone.

What stands out now is the crepe myrtle tree in our front yard. DH has shaped it over the years into a perfect umbrella shape. It is bright fuchsia and we estimate it to be 40-50 years old. It is covered in buds right now, ready to burst into bloom. Here is last years picture.

View attachment 3085

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know that there is a plant I would consider an icon -- a symbol of this area. At one time elms lined the streets on our "Tree City, USA" designation. That was before Dutch elm disease wiped them out. Now the numerous ash trees are falling victim to the emerald ash borer.

Of course, field corn and soybeans are considered staple cash crops around here, but Iconic? I think not.

I tend to define our property by the acid loving plants in our turn-around: blueberries, rhododendrons, and azaleas that are rarely seen in this area and make a traffic-stopping scene each spring.
Azalea northern lights.JPG

The mock oranges that bring such fragrance to the yard are so full of blossoms they seem snow-covered. Syringa is still a much-used name for mock orange, but Syringa is the botanical name for lilacs which are not related to mock orange.
mock orange .JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS, I had three varieties of mock orange at one time. The one most like yours -- I suspect it's a wild type -- was just dug out Tuesday. It was planted in the wrong spot for its unruly growth, but it was supposed to have been a double-flowered mock orange.

The double mock orange I ordered later didn't make it through the drought of 2012. I now have two plants (one started from a cutting from the other) and a few babies that were dug out when we cleaned around the mother plant.

I really do like those plants!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if you mean "my" mock orange or my picture. Nothing is "mine" on this property except some sprinklers, hoses and lots of garden plants :).

The mock orange is just like the one where I park the truck and just like a dozen I can see on the hillside above. They are absolutely everywhere and so common amongst the basalt outcrops and pines that people rarely have them in their yards. I don't think anyone planted this bush. I could be wrong. There was once a home in the middle of these 4 lots that was torn down. (Now, there is 1 house on the east lot and 1 garage on the west lot and gardens in between. :))

The landscaping must have been on a tight budget since it is nearly all native plants. This is where the Oregon grape lives that I had in a picture a couple of weeks ago.

The Oregon grape isn't quite as common in the forest but the mock orange is everywhere along the lower slopes of the hills. A few weeks ago and just as common, the flowering white bushes were the native service berries.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have to pick the Ponderosa pines as one of our larger plant icons. They are commonly seen all over town and easy to take for granted, but they have such a sturdy grace.

I especially love the bark on the mature 200 year old ones that I get to garden under on one of my jobs. It sheds off in large jigsaw puzzle pieces and has a sweet smell in the sun. Ospreys roost in the tops a good 100 feet up. Wish I had a picture of one...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The ponderosa pine is now Spokane’s official city tree.

That was a decision made just this month by folks who agree with you, Thistle'!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That mock orange is beautiful and sounds like it is something I need. How long does it bloom? It may not do well in the soil around here. Not many basalt outcroppings or native pines in my area. (none) :(
I can't think of an iconic plant for here. Maybe poison ivy.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That mock orange is beautiful and sounds like it is something I need. How long does it bloom? It may not do well in the soil around here. Not many basalt outcroppings or native pines in my area. (none) :(
I can't think of an iconic plant for here. Maybe poison ivy.
We have one. Bloom about a week but we have the misfortune that it blooms right in front of a huge wind/rain storm so we get about 3 days. If you love the smell of oranges, you will LOVE this shrub.

Latest posts