Your 'Next' Nice Day

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What will you do with your next nice day in the garden?

I'm a springtime, fair weather gardener. Today should be in mid-70's, nice! I'm off soon to set out some semi-hardy plant starts :). Tomorrow, rain early, wind gusts probably in the upper 20's thru the day, 60° afternoon ... I may spend most of the day in the greenhouse.

Fair weather gardener, what will you be doing in the garden the next good chance you get?

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, does basking in the sun count? In either case I will be checking to see if any of my Diplomat Galia melon flowers have any "babies". ;) I have about a dozen flowers. :)

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I. . . Yes, today was a really great day. I helped Spouse rake the soil son had brought up from the gully, pruned all the bottom growth around my flowering crab trees, cleaned around the rhubarb, mixed two compost barrels into one and have wheelbarrow of compost ready to put around rhubarb, cleaned some of the shade garden, helped son get several stumps onto the tractor bucket for removal. The only unsuccessful part of the day was trying to mow.

Yesterday I checked out the push mower -- oil seemed over filled by a large amount and gas was empty so I filled that. I started mowing with no problems, but didn't get much done before. . . squirrel. . . So I started the mower up today and got huge amounts of black smoke. I checked the oil and it seemed to register nothing on the stick. I stopped all attempts at mowing.

Now I am wondering if SOMEONE put gasoline in the oil? That is the way a fine Stihl chain saw went from being in great condition to trash in one day. I am wondering if gasoline in the oil would ruin a two year old mower or if there is still hope for the machine? I am wondering if I should and how I might be able to keep all the power equipment under lock and key without hurting SOMEONE'S feelings.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ohhh...next nice day in the garden.... :)

I really need someone to crack a whip at my heels. I've been spending too many of the past nice garden days playing with things besides the veg garden. I really really need to organize myself, take some ibuprofen and get hopping.
Will report back when that is successful....

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I've got so much to do! Since I'm working Sunday, I've got to make Saturday really count. My plan is to clean out the goat pen and maybe the meaties, too (their pen gets nasty so quick!). I'm hoping to have the last remaining plants to get into my flower bed, and then mulch, mulch, mulch. Hopefully, I'll have time to hike around the property & check out the spring wildflowers - maybe look for some morels, too...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I save rainy days for housework and sunny days for the garden as much as possible. It can be a little nerve-wracking watching the weather forecast. I didn't get everything done today outside that I had hoped to, and now we're back to rain for tomorrow. Still too wet to till the garden.

What never works out for me is hoping for a windless dry day above 40* to spray dormant oil in Jan/Feb...and March is even worse. It is almost constantly windy up here. I'm going to start aiming to do it in the fall instead, or else it will never happen.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I still haven't planted any greens! Hopefully, this weekend.

I'd like to closely inspect our magnolia. Last spring, they moved it to put a basement under our house. And it hit -30 this winter. It is an 18' tree. We have not seen any blooms or leaves beginning, so we were starting to suspect it is dead.

We started watching a magnolia about 12 miles south of here in Waterville (on my commute) and noticed that hasn't bloomed either, which gave us hope. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the Waterville magnolia is dead too.....

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I. . . Yes, today was a really great day. I helped Spouse rake the soil son had brought up from the gully, pruned all the bottom growth around my flowering crab trees, cleaned around the rhubarb, mixed two compost barrels into one and have wheelbarrow of compost ready to put around rhubarb, cleaned some of the shade garden, helped son get several stumps onto the tractor bucket for removal. The only unsuccessful part of the day was trying to mow.

Yesterday I checked out the push mower -- oil seemed over filled by a large amount and gas was empty so I filled that. I started mowing with no problems, but didn't get much done before. . . squirrel. . . So I started the mower up today and got huge amounts of black smoke. I checked the oil and it seemed to register nothing on the stick. I stopped all attempts at mowing.

Now I am wondering if SOMEONE put gasoline in the oil? That is the way a fine Stihl chain saw went from being in great condition to trash in one day. I am wondering if gasoline in the oil would ruin a two year old mower or if there is still hope for the machine? I am wondering if I should and how I might be able to keep all the power equipment under lock and key without hurting SOMEONE'S feelings.
@Smart Red, can you take the mower to someone to check it out? Maybe it is not unrepairable?
Also, if you feel comfortable crafting a little white lie, you could perhaps tell SOMEONE that you heard about power equipment being stolen in the area, and want to lock up all yours to be safe. Then keep the key put away safely.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red chain saws and other 2 cylinder motors do need oil added to gas. Don't ask me how i know this. Sunday will be only day I can work at planting the rest of my fruit trees, hoping for good weather.