Your not alone Major in the "what's this?" dept

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got one of those "what the heck" plants too. Thought I was all hot stuff when I found a black cherry tomato plant at the nursery. Was 1 of a handful that they had. So its growing like a weed, flowering like crazy, starts setting little tomatoes.

As I'm watching the tomatoes develop I notice they have an oddly longer shape. Still small, but more oval in nature. Figured that's maybe how they develop I've never had black cherries before. They finally start to ripen....yep its a grape tomato.

I'm glad its doing so well but not thrilled that its a grape and not a black cherry. The saving grace is its crazy productive. Far outpacing the sweet 100 I had next to it.

Thought Id share given all the "oops" and "what the..." you've had this year.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
never did mention that there was a stray tomato seed in the packet of howard germans it grew just like one but when it started to set it was small and round, still was canned...lol

did send a note off to bonnies, have not heard back.

all you can do is have a good laugh....

edit....
did find a great recipe for those so called banana peppers

http://www.grouprecipes.com/67219/pittsburgh-style-stuffed-banana-peppers.html
not half bad, we only used ground sausage.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The black cherries should be round. That's a bummer. I had one that didn't turn out right in my patch either, from a trade. It was supposed to be a "stuffer", but is shaping up to be a pear of some sort, maybe an Amish paste or the like.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think many varieties are miss labeled at the nursery. As one who marks many plants it is easy for a label to come loose and be replaced in the wrong spot.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went to my favorite nursery, bought sweet banana peppers only to find out they are yellow banana's. HOT yellow banana's.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I think many varieties are miss labeled at the nursery. As one who marks many plants it is easy for a label to come loose and be replaced in the wrong spot.
A lot of times, or actually most times it customers who pull a tag to read it and just put it back haphazardly.

Seed, hot yellow banana peppers are a good thing!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I figured that's what happened (a customer did it). Probably read the tag and went :sick and then misplaced it back in the wrong pot. Its a family run nursery and they've been REALLY good to me so I'm the last one to complain to them about it. At least its a productive mistake.

Latest posts