Your State

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This may be only one person's idea of representative state pictures. The author says "we" but there don't seem to be any others cited as compiling these 50 photographs:

The most fascinating historic photo taken in every US state

If you feel that it is a little unfortunate that Washington DC is left out, not to worry! It's Maryland that's left out since the Maryland picture was, in fact, taken in DC :hu. There's another like that where the event was distant from the location. Maybe people park their cars in Maryland and are photographed in DC?

I'm a little disappointed in Idaho's picture. Well, it has to be a big deal but aren't the Grand Tetons a big deal!?

And, Washington State -- Mount St Helens erupting? Good Goobly Goo! Well, there's a mountain but that was a little much to live through so ... not such pleasant sights from here on the border. It's somewhat disconcerting that I remember so many of these photographs from newspapers and television when the events occurred. It's okay. Makes me feel a part of things.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting choices of what is fascinating.

I did think it was pretty neat to feature @seedcorns photo for Indiana.
Good job Seed!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The photo for Missouri says it was taken in 1974. ???
I remember 1974 distinctly and I don't think people dressed like that then. Maybe 1924?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Erroorrr ... Clicking the Wikimedia link we learn:

"A COPYRIGHTED PICTURE TAKEN BY B.A. ATWATER IN 1895" It says something about 1974 but clicking the National Archives link tells us: "SEE PICTURE #13603 FOR A COMPARISON TAKEN IN THE SUMMER OF 1974."

Here's the terminal in 1974 (link).

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't see 'em unless I turn off my ad blocker and I'm not willing to do that just to look at a pic of them showing the poor hillbillies or coal miners in my state. Lots of historical moments in our state that doesn't include those things, but that's what they usually show.

Latest posts