digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the Winter Solstice

The shadow of something 72" tall ..
. was 211" long, today,
. at "high noon,"
. 2 hours before the Solstice.
Just before High Noon, The Sun came out, today!

The shadow of something 72" tall ..

. was 187" long. (Some REAL progress here!)

We had 1/10 th of an inch of rain last night and fell just a little short of 1/2" for the first 2 weeks of January. Supposed to have more tonight.

I could say that the snow in the yard was where it had been piled or in the shade for those 2 weeks. Now, it's only where it was piled. WS says not to become too accustomed to the warm temperatures. Snow and colder temps are on the way.

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another grey, rainy day here on the Wet Coast. One bright spot though is seeing sparkly rain drops on the leaves of the Purple Sprouting Broccoli. They look like little glass beads. ☔

Attachments

• IMG_20230117_105316905.jpg
    IMG_20230117_105316905.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 86

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
“If the wind shifts from the north to the south in a few days without rain and turns north again with rain, returns to the south in one or two days, and so on for two or three keeps shifting, it will afterwards fix south or west two months or more.”
Dang Nation, @ducks4you , I'm dizzy!!

21°f (6°C) this morning. The sky is so bright and mostly blue in the North but the sun is still behind high clouds. Hours from sunrise!

Such a strange Winter. This is the coldest it's been in a couple of weeks. Kinda like the first day of Winter will be the coldest for 22-23.

Some places average early cold and then warmer. I think the southern SW is like that. If this might be a new normal, does that mean we will have their Summer monsoon?

Steve
the forecast makes it sound like the piles of snow won't be going anywhere soon

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Let's HOPE that they have their Summer monsoon!!
For crying out loud, Jane Austin quotes bogle mondern minds. Why not try to follow this!
When I was taking 100 hrs of coursework in order to be certified to teach, one course requirement was Special Education, 101, for non Special Education majors.
On ONE of their tests there was, no joke, a question that was a triple negative.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is some more, Just for YOU, @digitS'
mail

If the new moon is not visible before the fourth day, the air will be unsettled for the whole month.
–Francis Bacon (1561–1626), English philosopher

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The picture, @ducks4you , I'd just bet it's from Utah, a very beautiful state ... mostly.

Let me critique Frances, I'm sure he wouldn't mind ;). The statement is mixing weather with months. And, not just "any one month" but any old division of the solar year divided by 12.

It's somewhat like that question on why Chinese New Year comes on different "days." It has to do with the phases of the moon, which is close to being completed within 28 solar days. Then, fit it in the middle between the Winter solstice and the Spring equinox.

Yes, absolutely, Earth's weather has a lot to do with the sun.

Imma gonna look at that dumpling recipe :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. A little snow: Likely to melt this afternoon with the last of our warmer January temperatures.

With the warmth came gloomy daytimes between our long hours of darkness. Maybe I should have been keeping track of our hours of sunshine through the month. There have been incredibly few.

Expect me to be complaining about the cold soon. I mean - seriously! Wind and cold should arrive, tomorrow. Thermometer dropping a little below zero Fahrenheit again but the wind chill may be extreme. People better be protecting their livestock.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wednesday, 3 inches of snow, and a storm that didn't live up to it's hype.
Yesterday, light snow, wind from the west, only about 4 inches on the ground, but blowing/drifting made driving dangerous,.
Today, snow it about an hour, then high of 41, tomorrow, high of 47.
One advantage, I can hack away at the Fall gardening cleanup jobs I didn't get to.

Latest posts