Your Weather, 2024

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our forecast suggests that we will match that by the weekend.
We didn't.

It was 84°f (29°C) yesterday and probably won't hit 80, today. It has been nice not to have very much wind these last 2 days but it looks to be back to windy days by tomorrow afternoon and continuing even worse, through the week. Anyway, took advantage of the stillness and warmth and pulled the plastic off the hoop house.

Steve

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Summer’s made it to the Greatland! Today’s temps ran from 40 to 78 and as is customary; our weather reports now mention the aproximate number of lightning strikes each day. Today it was “roughly 400”. That sounds like a lot but when you consider the land mass “over twice the size of Texas” you can grasp it.
Many of those strikes start fires which bring smoke to some locations; sometimes lasting for weeks!

On a brite note; i’ll be swimming in Tomato’s real soon.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After @Alasgun 's brite note — we have had a vexing amount of wind. The forecast for today is disturbing. Wind, rain, possible thunderstorms ... And by tomorrow morning – a frost warning.

The forecast low is only 41⁰f (5⁰C) so the warning is mostly for areas at higher elevations. We are usually about 3 degrees cooler so that is still some distance from freezing but a record low is possible. Sunday should, at least, be a little calmer.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
one decent rain in two weeks (about a week ago or more), no chances of rain in the forecast until Tuesday or Tuesday night. as usual i will not believe it until i see it hit the ground. the past few forecast rains faded out right before getting to us or went north of us.

with seeds in the ground i gotta keep 'em moist enough to sprout. any rains are welcome to help out, but not getting much of that this past week... still have good sprouts coming up and things seem to be going ok. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think that ...
The frost monster
came very close. It was 39⁰f (4⁰C) at 4:30AM and a little warmer before and since. Hail damaged some lettuce leaves before nightfall but I think that it only banged up some flower petals, otherwise.

Maybe "banged up" would apply to the basil just planted out. I thought the Thai basil would dodge the hail better with its narrow leaves but the coold... Eggplant looks like they tried to hunker down and not very successfully. Forgot to check the few peppers not in the greenhouse bed. Tomatoes and everything else seem fine.

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another couple inches of rain for us this weekend, and cold too. Then in a few day's time it's supposed to get quite hot, which will be a shock for the plants. At least there will be no shortage of moisture in the ground for their roots. ☔

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think that ...

came very close. It was 39⁰f (4⁰C) at 4:30AM and a little warmer before and since. Hail damaged some lettuce leaves before nightfall but I think that it only banged up some flower petals, otherwise.

Maybe "banged up" would apply to the basil just planted out. I thought the Thai basil would dodge the hail better with its narrow leaves but the coold... Eggplant looks like they tried to hunker down and not very successfully. Forgot to check the few peppers not in the greenhouse bed. Tomatoes and everything else seem fine.

Steve
I've noticed that gardeners in the PNW seem to have hail much more so then other locations, is there some geographical reason for that?