Your Weather, 2024

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug brought us the new thread in 2023.

I'm thinking that there is lots of weather news in North America right now! And probably, this is true worldwide.

From my view east, it would be interesting for our Montana gardeners to check in and tell us how things are there this morning.

single digits Fahrenheit digitS' here

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
blowing snow is supposed to be the theme for the next several days. higher winds up into the 40-50mph range at times. i'm glad i don't have to go out. we have a good friend who is a truck driver and he has to be out most evenings and into the early morning. that's not a job i'd want for any amount of $.

they already had the power company recovery crews at work from last week's winds plus crews from several states helping out so they've kept them all on hand for this storm the next few days.

we've topped off some buckets of water and the propane tank plus groceries so we should be good for a week or two no matter what happens. i have plenty to keep me busy inside.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We woke up to -13C(9F) outside, and only 13C(55F) inside. Brrrr!! Apparently our boiler has a switch that trips if the unit is asked to run constantly; I'm guessing that occurred sometime late last evening. We have now reset the switch and hot water is starting to flow through our radiators again; we should be feeling warm and cozy again soon. We have a small portable green house heater set up in our living room, to help get the heat in the house back up to a comfortable temperature. Does it ever throw a lot of heat. And the frost on the windows is so beautiful! Wikipedia calls it 'fern frost' or 'frost flowers'.

Attachments

• IMG_20240112_081935520.jpg
    IMG_20240112_081935520.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 34

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blizzard conditions here; up to 12" of snow predicted (we've had at least 6" already). and windy. Most churches & many businesses closed early today. and most non-essential activities canceled Saturday morning. I shoveled & snowblowed as much as I could before the wind picked up (to make it a little easier tomorrow) and saw a lot of people out doing the same. Between the cold & the wind, I don't plan to spend much time outdoors for awhile... Sunday through Wednesday, the temps won't get above 10 F. degrees.

It could be worse though. According to forecasts, parts of Canada will be colder than -50 F. Brrrr!!!! ❄️🥶

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is -10⁰f (-23⁰C) right now.

I woke up yesterday to 0⁰f (-18⁰C). There was no frost — except on the storm doors. No snow had been left on the ground with our previous warm days. We are at some kind of deficit regarding snowcover. Freeze Dried!

The sun rose at 7:35 in a pale blue sky and was shining brightly All Day. And yet, the temperature didn't rise to 1⁰f (-17⁰C) until 11:30! (It made it to 2f [still 17C] shortly thereafter 🥴. All Through the Daylight Hours, the wind was blowing in double digitS' mph. Windchill was terrible.

It's only a little calmer outdoors right now. And, if I think that this was bone chilling, I would not have needed to have gone far to found worse wind. North South valleys were really channeling that air blowing out of the Canadian Rockies. And, let's just step over some of those Rocky Mountains into Montana ... not only was it worse wind but Helena is -31⁰f (-35⁰C) right now. 🧊!

digitS'

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Texas is not in a panic over the approaching cold, but resigned to the fact that we will have to forgo shorts and flip flops for this coming week.

I’m not looking forward to this. No, I don’t wear shorts and flip flops, the farm has a way of dealing with dummies. Stomped on toes and scratches on bare skin. No thanks.

I’m a cold weather wimp so temperatures in the teens are definitely not fun. Wild temperature swings, up-down, Im looking out at white frozen fields this morning. It’s 29F with high of 58F, then dropping off in the teens and not getting above freezing for several days. I’m going to turn my water off at the meter tomorrow so I don’t have to deal with busted frozen pipes.

IMG_5728.jpeg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
High winds again last night and today, and power outages all over the state, before power from two days ago was even restored to many. The generator is humming its popular tune... I wonder how many of my trees up in the woods have fallen.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far its down to 20. State of emergency in several counties. These kind of temps just don't happen here. Not worried about inside pipes. This place was redone in 2018 down to the studs, and new code for insulation. I "think" its 2x6 framing - never really checked. Its the outside pipes that I'm worried about. There are alot of hose bibs out there now.

Latest posts