Zone 8, California - Winter Vegetables ... ???

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
:welcome, vja4Him -- pretty awesome that Spring has arrived at YOUR backyard! :rose
Yeah .... We always have an early spring! Some trees are already blossoming with flowers. Some of my succulents were flowering several days ago!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey there,

I will reply to that message you sent me. I've been pretty sick the past couple of days and Im just starting to feel better. I've noticed almonds blooming and our plum trees are starting to bloom as well. I hope the rain stops or we're going to lose a ton of blossoms.

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
New Problem: There are rabbits running around the neighborhood! And they have been destroying my garden!

One of my neighbors helped me put a fence around my winter vegetable garden. Hopefully that will keep out the rabbits ....

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted more winter vegetables. I have several varieties of plants that are resistant to heat. This is what I planted yesterday:

-- radish (Cherry Belle)
-- cilantro (Long Standing)
-- Swiss chard (Ruby)
-- beets (Gourmet blend)
-- beets (Detroit)
-- spinach (Teton)
-- spinach (Olympia)
-- carrot (Long Imperator)
-- lettuce (Buttercrunch)
-- spinach (Mustard-Tendergreen)
-- kohlrabi (both purple and white)

The first winter vegetables I planted at our new place on February 8th are coming along pretty good. The rabbits smashed some of the plants when they were walking around. Them little buggers were pulling my onions right out of the ground and nibbling on the plants. They were even eating my spider plants! So I've put the spider plants up on a plant rack, and hung a few under the eaves.

Latest posts