zucchini problem, browning.

Nyappy Garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Our zucchini is turning brown and then it wilts. I do not know why, is it too much water, not enough or something else? This happened last year and we never got any zucchini. One plant looks good but two others have some not doing so good.
This is a pic of one dying....
IMG_9673.jpg

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I get that too I think it is because that particular female flower did not get a visit from the bees...ie. not pollinated...you may want to try pollinating with a small paint brush male to female...

We had a lot of rain early on just when the flowers started bloomingand the bees dont come out in the rain...this happened on my cucumbers also...but now that the weather has dried some I am now getting fruit...

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That also might be blossom end rot - means your plants need more calcium. It also affects tomatoes, and you can get calcium supplement products to remedy the problem.

Nyappy Garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok I will try pollinating. Not many female flowers right now though lol Would egg shell work ok with adding calcium? We have plenty of those.

farmerkim

Sprout
Reaction score
I get those sometimes too. I just cut them off, so they don't waste the plants' energy. I agree, they are probably not pollinated.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

Momofdrew was right. It happened to one of my plants over here & I looked it up on a site we have here (Gardeners World, a BBC TV programme & magazine):-

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/courgette-rot/

You might not be able to access any of the videos on this site as the BBC have a policy of not showing them in the US -- WHY, I don't know but that is how it is......!!

We have had a huge amount of rain in the last couple of weeks but it is nearly over as we are promised a hot & dry August. As the rain has lessened my zucchini (called courgettes here) plants stopped going brown & are producing very well. I have lovely little yellow ones as well as green ones. a mixture of them looks great on the plate. I get enough everyday for just me & the odd gift to friends.

Because of the very wet weather pull the plants up with a kind of hammock contraption so there was air between the bottom leaves & the earth. In the past I have found that air circulation is very, very important when growing this family of vegetables. Still humid weather brings trouble -- for me at least. :frow

Looking forward to a hot August. :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nyappy Garden said:
Ok I will try pollinating. Not many female flowers right now though lol Would egg shell work ok with adding calcium? We have plenty of those.
Yes, eggshells will work. I save mine for garden use. I put all shells in boiling water for a few minutes to rid all bacteria then air dry. I put them in the blender to create a powder. I apply some around my plants and work in slightly. I don't get end rot on anything anymore.

Latest posts