3am call From Alarm Company

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
off track... but
I have a neighbor that I let hunt my pastures. Of course, the 'pasture rats' vanish during deer season! Once, when discussing how they seem to know when to hide, we decided that he needed to keep a dead squirrel handy outside of deer season. Then he could shoot the deer - throw the squirrel down beside it - and SWEAR he was aiming for the squirrel when the deer just jumped right in the way...

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Alright @Nyboy Ill play along.

So you get a call that the alarm was tripped. You beat the police there. Then what? Do you trust the training you have and the amount of range time you have put in prior to this to go walk in and possibly confront someone?

Are you going to make the time to make it a commitment to keeping your skills sharp? Realistically?

Ok so let's say you put the time in at the range. You are comfortable with your firearm. Now you've willingly put yourself in harms way by essentially challenging the invader/thief.

So now you've taken it upon yourself to respond to an alarm at your business. You chose to challenge a potential bad guy. It's not during business hours and this person challenged you and threatened your life.

The police are on their way. What is a few more minutes going to change? If you caught them in the act you have a description and a direction of travel from the safety of your own vehicle. PD would call a K-9 unit in and run the hot track.

Or go in and when the guy makes a threatening move you shoot him. You follow your training and keep shooting till the threat is neutralized. You just killed someone. Over what? A few thousand bucks? Because they were a threat to you?

Remember you took it upon yourself to confront this person to begin with.

So now you have to worry about litigation even though no criminal charges were brought against you. That's probably going to cost you more than the money you stopped them from taking.

Now you also have to live with the fact that you killed someone. Yes you defended yourself but at the cost of their life.

Do I think you should carry a handgun? Absolutely. You run a business have cash around yes you should. That's to protect yourself if a threat is leveled against you. I'm very pro firearms and pro 2nd amendment.

In my opinion it does NOT mean you need to go into your business and confront a threat to it. That's what the police are for. Let them do their job. They don't go and groom their own dogs just because they have a pair of scissors.

If a threat is leveled against myself or my family do not think for 1 moment I won't take lethal measures to stop it. I absolutely will and without hesitation. I've seen what they can do to people as a paramedic and as a hunter. The thing is knowing when you should draw your weapon and when you should show up with your gun on your hip and answer the officers questions that respond to the scene.

Hope this helps.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For home or business defense I would not use a hand gun, I have tactical shot guns for that purpose.
There are defense load shells out there just for this type of a situation.
Isn't it nearly impossible to get a permit for a hand gun in NY?
In MO you need a days instruction and on that day you must show you are proficient in the use of a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol.
Then give the Sheriff your prints and your ID so they can run a background check.
They'll call when your prints and background check come back clean.
After that it's just fork over $100 bucks and you get your carry card, which you renew every few years for a $50.00 fee.

THANX RICH

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jared77 has usual you make a lot of sense and point out all the faults Thank you. Now that some time has passed I do think every one is right I don't need a hand gun. I only waited a few minuets (seemed like hours) for police to arrive. After the break in last year I leave very little cash over night. @dickiebird I have heard it is hard to get a premit in NY I figured being business owner who had passed break in and never been arrested I would be able. But who knows I am forgetting idea. @majorcatfish that was great advice not to bring mace to a gun fight.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm just curious, now that you don't keep much cash there, what is there to steal? If the worse case happened and they broke in, how much would you lose?

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seeds right I am responsible for peoples pets. They are my 1st concern anything else can be replaced. The police that where here for break in said, when thief gets away with cash very easy they came back

Latest posts