Anyone Grow Mushrooms ?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy the guy who impulse buys trees is gun shy about a mushroom kit? :p

Seriously I'd go for it. I like mushrooms too and have thought about it in the past. Plus having kids I'm always up for a science project or growing some cool looking oddity for the kids to be apart of.

I'm sure you have some a friend who is a culinary wizard who could do something amazing with fresh oyster mushrooms...right?

How about a rack of lamb or seared duck breast medallions and oyster ragu. Served with a side of maple bourbon glazed rainbow carrots. Pair that with a nice pinot noir and dessert is cheese cake with blueberry syrup.

Dinners at 7 ;)

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is fun! Here is what you can get with Shiitakes on oak after a year or two! :ya I started with some large trunks from a tree that was taken down, drilled holes and added sawdust-grown spawn, and then waited. The black material is food-grade cheese wax that you use to seal the openings so the spawn doesn't dry out. This picture was taken a few months ago - can't wait for this Spring!

140921_ShiitakeHarvest.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
A random wild shroom grew in a pot yesterday....Then died a few hours later....Does that count?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is so neat @PhilaGardener, that sure makes it look like an intriguing thing to try!

Mushrooms are so interesting. I enjoy finding all the different ones in the woods, learning about them, photographing them... I think I would even enjoy growing them.
I wish I liked to eat them.:sick

Latest posts