Reaction score
I have most of my relatives in Wisconsin / Minnesota area and am
able to keep up with them. My mother is one three eldest still around
she has diagnosed with dementia and they all want to know how their
Aunt Peg is doing

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only reason I joined Fakebook is due to a real, actual friend who asked me to join so I could view pics of her son, after I had moved from the area. I joined and never really heard from her much after that in the real world. I guess that was her way of saying I want to be your friend but only on FB. :rolleyes:

I think FB has that effect....it's a place where people can say they are your friend, look at your pictures, show you theirs, but you never really have to do much other work on the relationship. That's why I call it "Fakebook"....the "friends" aren't real friends and they don't actually follow you or do much of anything else but hit the "like" button once in awhile if you post a pic.

It's all very shallow, superficial interaction and I don't have time for that in the real world.

Now I just keep it so my boys or DIL can send me messages, a good sermon or a picture if they want, but I don't post much there.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:D Red!!! I don't find you the least bit boring!!! :th You are an amazing woman from where I stand and I'm betting if they feel anything at all from viewing your life it would be inadequacy....and maybe, just maybe, someone would be so encouraged by your strength that it will help them go through a similar situation with more grace and acceptance . ;)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like my FB account. When I friend someone and all they post is slogans, signs, and other such nonsense, I block their feed. They don't know that I no longer see them. I've unfriended some folks, as times change, interests and activities are no longer relevant, and again, they don't even know. I like getting the Sacramento station news alerts on my FB. It arrives before my email alerts.

I've liked soap making pages, quilting pages, and others. Its very interesting.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't "do" FB or other social media. I am pretty capable of wasting vast amounts of time on other unnecessary stuff that I don't need another source. :oops:

Right now I'm visiting with my sis in the Midwest and am dismayed at how utterly incapable of leaving their phones alone my adult nieces and nephew are. Even my sister for that matter. We had a family gathering last night and everybody was playing with their electronics, even the small children, :(, commenting on what was on their FB, or what was on sale somewhere, or just playing mindless games.
I was out of my element, not understanding (or being interested in) all the conversations filled with movie, actors, sports and music references.

I realize what a relic I am but am not unhappy with my lifestyle.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't "do" FB or other social media. I am pretty capable of wasting vast amounts of time on other unnecessary stuff that I don't need another source. :oops:

Right now I'm visiting with my sis in the Midwest and am dismayed at how utterly incapable of leaving their phones alone my adult nieces and nephew are. Even my sister for that matter. We had a family gathering last night and everybody was playing with their electronics, even the small children, :(, commenting on what was on their FB, or what was on sale somewhere, or just playing mindless games.
I was out of my element, not understanding (or being interested in) all the conversations filled with movie, actors, sports and music references.

I realize what a relic I am but am not unhappy with my lifestyle.

Don't feel alone...you and I are in the same museum. It's astounding how much time and fondling of the phones goes on out there...just sit in any restaurant and mall and observe. It's like their own personal rosary or worry stone, wherein they are stroking it with their hands when they aren't actually "on it" but mostly they have heads bowed and thumbs ticking away...their children and spouses largely ignored while they communicate with someone more interesting, I suppose.

My oldest sister(63 yrs old) has fallen prey to it the same as her daughter...visits to her home consists of both of them sitting in front of the TV, each holding their phones and playing games or posting to social media, but no conversation with the guests or actual attention paid to the TV beyond a glance now and again while they wait for their recent post to be "liked" or noticed. My niece will actually bring her phone along to vacation areas and our home where she knows she can't get service and hold it in her hand, stroking it...said it's her little "worry stone".

My oldest son and his wife are similarly addicted to their phones, but I have expressed my feelings on that when we all eat out together, so they've managed to stop checking and tapping their phones during a meal now...just barely...probably thanking their phones that we don't go out all that often. Thank goodness they can't get any reception out in the boonies where I live, though they bring out their tablets~which are just big phones now~and are able to connect to the wireless network. They brought a router specifically for that purpose. :rolleyes:

They claim they do all of this because there is so much information to be had and learned on those phones...but my 27 yr old niece looked out in their yard this past year and told my mother she doesn't know what those white things are growing out there but she notices them every year. Those "white things" would be called dandelions that have gone to seed. o_O

Be thankful to be a relic...we are the only ones still looking where we are walking, eating or driving. ;)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep...and my little 2 yr old granddaughter will pick up any toy or object that is vaguely shaped like a cell phone and tap her little finger on the surface, saying "tap, tap, tap", then hold it up to her face to "talk" to whomever she is pretending to call. Not so bad, kids have used pretend toy phones for a long time...but when she stands in the middle of the floor pretending like she's texting is when it gets weird.

I'm trying to give her as many real kid experiences as possible to try and capture her vivid imagination away from becoming dulled down to being entertained by a box.

Latest posts