Anyone On Facebook?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep, another old relic here, I can go one better :lol:. Don't faint people I don't even own a cell phone, we have a land line and that's good enough for me. DH has a cell which he rarely uses, in fact not many other than family know his number. I insisted he get one in case of emergencies, half the time it's not even turned on.
I refuse to get one, I like my alone time and if someone needs to get hold of me they can phone me at home or come over. I don't drive either but that's not my choice unfortunately I get double vision at times.

I know I'm an old crock but dang it I really enjoy the simple things in life, like what old mother nature provides and doesn't charge us a single penny for it. For instance, sitting on a bench out in the garden sun on my back on a warm fall day, feeling that touch of crispness in the air, I find exhilarating. Looking up at a deep blue sky with a few billowy white clouds floating by helps me forget for at least a little while all that's wrong with this world of ours.

In some ways I'm glad I'm as old as I am, hopefully I have a few more years but the way society is going I'm almost glad I won't be around to see it. I'm so thankful our kids are well grounded but I worry about the world my grands and great grands are going to have to deal with.

Annette

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't own one either...never have. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. Been communicating just fine with everyone all these years without one. My sister insisted my Mom have one for when she travels but we most often forget to even turn it on and Mom can't seem to learn how to work it beyond making a call on it, which is sufficient for its purpose, in my mind.

My sister keeps wanting to upgrade her from a flip phone to a "smart" phone, but I keep telling her Mom is doing all she can do to work the flip phone, so don't push it. :D

Now that they removed all the payphones out there, they've forced a person to have to carry one kind or another of a portable phone when they travel, I guess. I never thought I'd see the day I'd miss payphones but there ya go...times do change.

My boys make fun of me because I don't have their cell phone numbers memorized...but how can you when they change every other year or so? Easy for them to talk, this phone number here hasn't changed in the past 25 yrs. o_O

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Annette, I am with you on all but the cell I have one but stays in my room most days
and has had the same number going on 15 years
I am legally blind and unable to drive as well but love the sun on my back
but blinds me more from the front.. I have 18 chickens, 1 cockerel , 5 cats in the house
3 outside and 6 dogs our gsd and great pyrenees stay outside the other 4 inside
life is a never ending laugh here and we all love each other to the end

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've had our land line for over 50 years, same number but now unlisted helps stop some of those irritating nuisance calls that seem to happen just as we sit down to supper. I have to admit I have borrowed DH's cell on occasion like when I happen to go somewhere, like on a bus tour where I need a ride home and haven't been able to give him an exact time before I leave. They do have there uses but I'm determined not to be tied to one. I'll have to look I don't know if all our pay phones have gone the way of the dodo bird yet, I know you can still pick up a phone and order a taxi at most supermarkets..
@bekissed I have DH's cell number written down and keep it in my wallet, I use it so seldom I keep forgetting what it is :(. When either of us go out I have to remind him to turn his on.

We used to have chickens ducks, rabbits, quail, racing pigeons and an assortment of other critters. In the past we've had a Doberman, Cairn Terrier, German Short Hair, German Shepard, several Labs both black and golden and I had a little Pom cross given to me when I was ten, she lived a healthy life for 21 years, they only time she went to the vets was to be spayed. All our dogs were spayed females. We've had a few cats over the years, they all lived into their teens, right now we are down to one, our Percy, an S.P.C.A. adoption. She was a fairly young kitten who they thought must of been mistreated because she was afraid of everything and hid all the time. When we brought her home she hid for weeks only to come out to eat or use the litter box, so we went and bought her a cat tree, we coaxed her on it by rubbing a bit of cat nip on the different levels she lived on that for the next six months...
DSCN2055.JPG DSCN2044.JPG
Starting to come out of her shell.......................A year later, scared look gone
DSCN3254.JPG DSCN4673.JPG
And finally off her tree sitting on the couch in front of the fire, will this pose do.....Still love my tree tho :).

We had our German Shepard when living in Ocean Falls, no vet there so she had to be flown down to Vancouver to be spayed so we bred her once and sold the pups. So this payed for her plane fare both ways plus the spaying. We put her on the plane, vet picked her up at the airport, spayed her and put her back on the plane a couple of days later, stitches still in. We were nervous to take them out so took her down to the doctors office after hours and the local doctor took them out. He was such a great doc, a little dog a kid's pet got hit by a car and he actually took it into the operating room at the hospital and amputated it's mutilated leg. The dog came out of it just fine running around on three legs and lived to a ripe old age.

Can you tell I'm bored, it's raining so can't do much outside, good job as I'm a little bit sore from spreading gravel the last two days, sitting here on the computer nothing's hurting so here I sit boring you or maybe I should say your 'Eyes' :lol:.

Annette

Last edited:

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You are not boring me at all .. love the photo's of the kittie... beautiful colours on her coat
one of the joy's of living in a small town having the ability to help the neighbors and friends

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had my Facebook account fot years before I decided to find friends. They have so many groups there it's unbelievable. SomethING for everybody. They even have one for my very own ancestries.

"Barb Youknowwho" lol

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
there are many too many so it may seem groups on there some times it does
become a bit overwhelming

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, so I do different things in winter than in summer so I click the notificat ions off and on with their seasons.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... all that's wrong with this world of ours.
I don't feel that I fully know what is right or wrong in today's world. Whatever the case, that will be the world of younger generations, several are already here and some still showing up. I doubt that I will grow more insightful but I am still trying! And, why not? It's fun!

Today is the International Day of Older People ;)! I feel I should go right ahead with life and avoid this: Negative Attitudes ;).

Interest in the world around us has to be a good thing. The peaceful beauty of your corner of the world, @aftermidnight , must be a special treasure. And your kitty. She looks a lot like the cat my parents had after I left home. Cuddles was around for something like 20 years.
news alerts on my FB. It arrives before my email alerts.
I've liked soap making pages, quilting pages, and others. Its very interesting.
I use Twitter to alert me to news and the journalists' take on it. Facebook disappointed me a about 7 or 8 years ago and I stopped posting on it but still make a small attempt to keep track of my daughter's goings-on. My posting experience was just after I had a bad experience with having a blog. After I started that, the hosting service closed its doors! I lost everything I had posted. Facebook went through a change and I felt I was making a mistake using it! Now, I realize that using FB like a blog was a mistake and worry my kids will make a re-introduction to it my only choice if I want to know what is happening in their lives.

They have so many groups there it's unbelievable. SomethING for everybody. They even have one for my very own ancestries.
These FB groups are something new to me but ... how would they be different from forums? Or, are they really the same and, maybe, just un-moderated forums ...

I'd like somebody to do the genealogy work for me on questions I have about my ancestry ;). Maybe Facebook would guide me to those helpful people ..?

:) Steve

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve, I don't think fb teaches or helps you with genealogy a part of my line just happened to start a group. It is great to surf around there.

They are not much different than forums they are all in one line, rather than having any topics.

Latest posts