Are we a GMO or what ?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

IF I was trying to debate the merits of GMO, I could depict other things. I have no problem with people eating like they want on both sides. My problem is with militant lunatics.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, I don't have any scientific resources at the moment.

In the meantime you should look at your own source. From what I can see it was written by one Monsanto worker - and possibly a minor worker at that. It is a blog, most credible scholarly writing comes in the form of scientific journals and such. It isn't all that recently written as So Lucky mentioned. Was that blog post peer-reviewed, and was it peer-reviewed by and expert who has no ties with Monsanto/ grudges against them? Your resource is very biased.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And by the way - even large groups and wealthy individuals have failed in their efforts to sue Monsanto and their smaller affiliates. Monsanto is a big and extremely wealthy company that won't hesitate to knock down any that oppose them - they've got the money to cover their back ends in any situation and will. If I was even stupid enough to try legal action I would probably end up in bankruptcy for a very long time, and on some kind of blacklist. I don't have enough evidence gathered or the money to carry out such an action.

And why won't Monsanto accept interviews from researchers (individual and otherwise)? Or let a single person into their many laboratories for any reason whatsoever?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
And by the way - even large groups and wealthy individuals have failed in their efforts to sue Monsanto and their smaller affiliates. Monsanto is a big and extremely wealthy company that won't hesitate to knock down any that oppose them - they've got the money to cover their back ends in any situation and will. If I was even stupid enough to try legal action I would probably end up in bankruptcy for a very long time, and on some kind of blacklist. I don't have enough evidence gathered or the money to carry out such an action.

And why won't Monsanto accept interviews from researchers (individual and otherwise)? Or let a single person into their many laboratories for any reason whatsoever?
Simple seedo ... too many self proclaimed " expert " researchers with a definate bias against Monsanto, much less any corporation or private business , will generate MORE theft of company secrets , contaminate and / or sabotage research, interupt employees' work , and merit-less law suits , etc. . :he

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since the companies that promote GMO's refuse to label food as being GMO, the next best thing is to consider all foods as GMO unless specifically labeled otherwise.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since the companies that promote GMO's refuse to label food as being GMO, the next best thing is to consider all foods as GMO unless specifically labeled otherwise.
Correct. Unless you know it is a product not made as GMO-ie, most vegetables. Even then it probably has chemicals in it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
gmoornot.jpg

stiring the pot

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

There are some vegetables for which genetic modification isn't allowed for some outside reason, at least for the moment - such as with sunflowers, because some are worried about GMO sunflowers crossing with wild species. I know this because I actually managed to keep myself together and explore several websites including Syngenta's in the past to find out wether or not the commercially-grown sunflowers across the street were likely GM (and I can find the link if necessary). Any sunflower seed that you buy for any reason are just fancy hybrids, according to a generally-dishonest-in-my-opinion company. (Heh, who can you trust?)

I do agree though.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@so lucky sorry, didn't look at date. Can still be rich and sue. ;)

GMO's in USA vegetable market is a real publicity nightmare. In fact, in Indiana, poultry producers (eggs and meat) are trying to go with non-GMO corn for feed.

My problem with most anti-GMO articles is statements as fact that someone is putting animal genetics into a vegetable and it's now being used in market place. I have no knowledge as to all the things researchers are doing. But I don't make up theories and publish them as fact. It's always Monsanto's fault. The one company that I found tried to put a flounder gene in a tomato was a Canadian company that isn't Monsanto--never got out of Research. I would have been right with the most ardent organic person fighting that.

The scientific procedure that you are talking about is called 'transgenic'. And by definition it implies that a gene from one species is added to the sequence of another species. If it is a frog and tomato or bacteria and corn is wholly irrelevant because what is occurring would never occur in nature or at the least within the lifetime of a 'standard species,' (i.e., not a cultivar)

The question is then, under what conditions do we deem such drastic measures as splicing DNA sequences together to produce food acceptable? Using such techniques is like preforming surgery on a two year old because the potential exist that at sixty years old they will require a heart transplant- you would never do that. Basically stated the use of GMO crops, currently is clearly unnecessary and the use of them is propagated by the continued use of pesticides, herbicide and nothing more. Even more basic, we use GMO's so we can use roundup and roundup like chemicals because complex agricultural systems that would manage the same issues are considered bad because they involve systems that generally speaking are not understood by industrial farmers.