Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who grows figs here, even in town, and I doubt I'd recognize a fig tree if it jumped up and bit me in the armpit. :D That's just not a real common sight in these parts.

I'll ask at local nurseries if they ever order any and the prices they ask. If it's too much, I'd just forego it. There are cheaper alternatives that have good yield of food that we'll actually eat and will provide much nourishment.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The trees can be expensive, Which doesn't make sense if they root so easy. Iwill send you some cuttings in spring. Fresh figs are good eating, used a lot in cooking. What is great is once established they are maintenance free.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are so sweet! What do fresh figs taste like? Sour, sweet, both?

The leaves applied to garden and orchard are slowly diminishing in depth, but they won't really start to break down until we get some good rain and snow this winter, so I'm hoping for both...this winter has been a weird one thus far. Dry and warm for this time of year...not complaining, as this saves on firewood and we are still getting some projects done, but it's just a tad weird.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A ripe fig is very sweet used in a lot of deserts Think fig newton cookie. I like eating them right off the tree. Fruit trees can be high maintenance (learning that first hand). Figs are carefree just have to watch wildlife beating you to fruit.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
While stores near you might not have fresh figs, most stores have dried figs, they are with the raisins and prunes. Much better fresh, but I know you like food that can be stored long term. Dried figs last about same as raisins.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'll be going after a load of chips to place on Son #1's yard, two boys will be going along to aid in this endeavor. Will haul as many as I can to cover his yard, then will try to convince them to go back and shovel me a load as well....gotta take advantage of these little opportunities.
LOL_.gif

Should be fun to see the nosy older(nice) neighbors he has trying to figure out what we are doing to his yard.
LOL_.gif
Not one yard in that neighborhood distinguishable from another, so this one should stand out a good bit. We hope to add to it as we go along, creating a low fence to contain the plants as much as possible, adding things on which to trellis some veggies and flower vines in such a way as to give it a pleasing appearance as they are growing food and flowers there.

DIL fully admits she lacks even one ounce of imagination, so will need much help with designing a pleasing to look upon garden there....which makes this very fun for me, as I love to do things like this. She wants it to be orderly so she can walk in it easily, so we will be placing plants with that in mind.

Told Son that this would be a wonderful way to meet his neighbors and possibly provide opportunities to witness to them about Christ, which he very much wants to do but doesn't really know where to start. The garden should invite conversation and the produce he shares from it can invite that even further.

It gives them fresh food to eat in season and a way to add activity to their daily lives, albeit small activity in a garden that small. He's trying to lose weight, so the healthy, fresh food right out the front door should be a great thing for him. Little GrandGirl Aliza LOVES green beans, so that's something very easy to grow, won't take up much space and will yield plenty all summer and into fall.

It will also give Aliza a chance to have her own little flowers to grow and pick for mama and should give an otherwise bland looking little home some much needed whimsy and character.

When I first proposed this to them, they didn't seem very taken with the idea but, for some reason, they've come around to it and~Son, at least~seems a little excited about it.
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplications, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ. Philippians 4: 4-7

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, remember when you couldn't find or get chips? Some of us even prayed for that. You've come a long way.

Mary

Pray again!!! :thumbsup Went back to the place where they said I could have all the chips I wanted and the huge mountain of chips are gone. Long story there but it's one of warring factions and just spitefulness and I'm the loser from it all.

In the meanwhile, we were able to salvage some from that site by scraping around the dregs and God gifted us with more leaves, so we were able to complete Joel's yard and it looks great. God will provide, I've found~over and over I've found this out. You'd think I'd learn to stop fretting over such things, wouldn't you? :D

Latest posts