Back to Eden Gardening

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, that sounds great! So glad that your son and his wife are wanting their own garden. Are you going to plant some permaculture plantings..fruit trees, grapes, food bearing permanent plants? In my new place, I am planning on permanent plantings as well as an annual garden. And I love to mix flowers in with everything!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep! I've encouraged perennial type food plants as neither one of them like to do much of that kind of work...recommended strawberries, grapes, blueberries, chives, garlic, asparagus(they turned that one down), dwarf cherries, etc.

I'm also encouraging flowers that butterflies and hummingbirds love so the baby gets to see plenty of lovely things. They want to plant a honeysuckle vine to grow up the porch and maybe we can do a few morning glories until that gets established.

They seem pretty excited about it now, after seeing it go down.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know!!!! Doesn't take up much room and comes back year after year, tastes dreamy. I just got to taste it for the first time this past year and I'm in love.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Asparagus from a can is squishy, stinky, gooshy, nasty tasting stuff. :sick Fresh asparagus is a totally different vegetable. Crisp, delicious, a gastronomic delight. :drool

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Placed more leaves around my apple trees today. The rain we are getting this week is a huge blessing for helping all these leaves to start rotting in the garden and orchard.

Hope to get some manure soon to add to them and help that process along. Also hope to get some things planted in the garden next week, trying to build a cold frame there using an old screen door and a bed frame. Should look interesting.

Found a mosquito in the chicken's water today.... :th Whoever heard of mosquitoes at this time of year in these parts? :confused:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ordered seeds today....thought I was getting an early start but noted that many things were already sold out.

Need to get out there and place some wood ashes on the orchard. Also need to sit down and make seed tapes as often as possible...tons to make and store. I'm hoping to be better organized this year in my gardening and keep a better record of what I've planted and when. I think this will be easier with seed tapes and a better marking system.

Also would like to keep a garden journal this year to track each variety of each thing I plant so I can truly measure how much each thing yields and how they did in the garden.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the seed tape reminder. That's one idea I usually forget until it is too late and things need to be planted. I certainly can save the waste that often comes with thinning veggies.

Latest posts