Baymule's 2016 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do sheep eat squash ?

Haven't given them any to find out.

Do you freeze them? I always plant to but never seem to do it.

I slice the squash, don't blanch them, and vacuum seal them. Then I freeze them. I lay out the package in the morning and let it completely thaw. There will be water in the bag. I cut off a corner and drain, then twist and wring the bagged squash until I can't get any more liquid out. I dust them in cornmeal and fry them. Delicious!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't given them any to find out.

I slice the squash, don't blanch them, and vacuum seal them. Then I freeze them. I lay out the package in the morning and let it completely thaw. There will be water in the bag. I cut off a corner and drain, then twist and wring the bagged squash until I can't get any more liquid out. I dust them in cornmeal and fry them. Delicious!

I have been wasting all this time blanching my sliced squash? I have no idea why I did that. I do not blanched the shredded squash. Good to find out!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... I am really reaching to find recipes for squash that aren't casseroles.
Okay Bay', that's how I felt a couple of years ago with so many pumpkins. You think it's difficult to find varied ways with zucchini, what are you gonna find for a Jack o'lantern pumpkin :hu?!

I've eaten salmon bisque. I can't remember if I've made it myself but I have eaten it ... I like salmon :).

Anyway, I'll use that memory as an excuse for being willing to try Tuna Pumpkin soup. Actually, it was a Tuna Zucchini soup recipe. Real simple. I didn't expect tuna to be good as a soup, but it was. And, it was the dominant flavor.

Steve

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' beyond pumpkin pie......I guess recipes were rather hard to come up with. I wouldn't mind an overload of pumpkins-the sheep would LOVE them--AND I wouldn't need a recipe! :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got another load of mulch today!!! :weee:weee:weee

Once again, DH tipped them $10 each and I gave them bottles of cold water. They might get one more load before they leave our area.
IMG_1026.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
All the trees being taken down around here are ash and either infected with or threatened with emerald ash borer. No chance of getting any chips. They are all composted for future use by local gardeners, though.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first load seems to have a lot of oak in it, the second load seems to have a lot of elm in it. Both will be mixed with horse poop and composted.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' beyond pumpkin pie......I guess recipes were rather hard to come up with. I wouldn't mind an overload of pumpkins-the sheep would LOVE them--AND I wouldn't need a recipe! :lol:

Here in "Texas North:"
IMG_20160709_081458.jpg
DW already made zucchini bread! We finished a loaf and started on a second.

:D Steve

Latest posts