Baymule's 2016 Garden

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Squash..... I have picked 63 more yellow squash. :thTotal now at 187. :ep Yesterday we took a basket of squash (the one in my avatar) to a neighbor. She is a stay at home Mom with 3 boys, her sister and sister's boyfriend and sister's baby live with them, so the squash was welcomed. I gave her the squash fritter recipe and a recipe for squash bread. As long as I keep them watered, they keep making more squash!

How many did you plant? :ep

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay... keep shovelling that high and deep road apple pile into the Texas snow space then round up a mess of hogs to till it all up . Invite all of your friends , and don't forget a Northerner or two , for a real Texas BBQ with a few beans on the side.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy actually I just started giving chickens squash. I have packaged 2 cups of shredded quash per Ziploc bag and put them in the freezer for future squash bread and fritters. I have sold some and given to neighbors. So far, I have found something to do with almost all of it.

AND I just picked 9 more, bringing the total up to 193 yellow squash!

@bobm I will certainly do that and invite you and your wife as guests of honor!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This afternoon we sold $45 worth of squash and eggs! mostly eggs..

Nawthurners like @seedcorn make fun of Southurners love of peas. What ya'll call cowpeas while ya'll reserve the word peas for the little sweet green peas that we call English peas. Anywho now that we have the terms and definitions laid out, I was stunned, astounded, surprised and just plain knocked aback by the price for a bushel of peas. :thA bushel of shelled peas, preferably purple hull peas, goes for anywhere from $25 to $30 in small towns and $45 to $60 in Tyler. :th:th:th:th:th:th

And here I am farting around with yellow squash? o_O Boy, do I ever feel stupid. I coulda planted PEAS!!!

Not that it woulda made much difference.....about half of what I planted didn't even come up and half of what did, died. What survived the Seed Graveyard is making peas like crazy now. I can't believe what people will pay for a bushel of peas. :ep

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even us Northerners love black eyed peas...... With onion and pork, yes.... Fried okra with bacon, onions, and garlic-even better. Black eyed peas are more a bean than pea.

@baymule You do realize how many more peas or beans you have to pick for a bushel vs squash?

It's just rational to value them over squash.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
YAY! :weeeWe got a load from the contractors that clean the power line right of way, yesterday! They had the wrong address and tried to find us for 30 minutes. My husband went and found them and led them to our house. We gave them cold bottled water, which they appreciated and my husband tipped them $10 each. So for $20 we got a "free" load of chip! :yaThat tip will be remembered next week when they get another load. ;)

Lots of green in the pile. I'm gonna hitch up Marigold and scoop horse poop to mix with the chips. All those green bits oughta heat it up nicely. :woot

And to @majorcatfish this shows some more of that TEXAS SNOW that we have so much of! :lol: We don't even have grass in our front yard, it's about a foot deep in loose fluffy snow.

IMG_1013.JPG

Latest posts