Best Keeper

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't grow the ones that are named "Best Keeper" or anything like that.

Thessaloniki and if I'd waited 1 more day I could have claimed that it was taken off the vine, 7 weeks ago:

DSC00369.jpg

Another week wouldn't have been possible for several of the 6 that were still on the kitchen table a couple of hours ago.

Good Soup! Onions fried with cut up smoked sausage, dried basil, garlic salt, Maggi seasoning, turkey broth - run thru food processor - grated cheddar cheese & half 'n' half added and heated thru. Lunch!

Okay, it tasted a good deal more like the seasonings and sausage than the tomatoes but you knew they were in there by more than just the color ;).

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I don't grow the ones that are named "Best Keeper" or anything like that.

Thessaloniki and if I'd waited 1 more day I could have claimed that it was taken off the vine, 7 weeks ago:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/DSC00369.jpg

Another week wouldn't have been possible for several of the 6 that were still on the kitchen table a couple of hours ago.

Good Soup! Onions fried with cut up smoked sausage, dried basil, garlic salt, Maggi seasoning, turkey broth - run thru food processor - grated cheddar cheese & half 'n' half added and heated thru. Lunch!

Okay, it tasted a good deal more like the seasonings and sausage than the tomatoes but you knew they were in there by more than just the color ;).

Steve
Do you know how many times I add tomato paste to things just to get that little bit of tomato flavor? Not to mention vitimins. That is "Good Eats".

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not this year, GwR.

DW started sauce making with a double batch over a month ago. I made the sauce several times a week with the 5 quart kettle. About 5 days ago, she ran all the rest thru the food processor. Couldn't even fill that 1 kettle but she could claim that we were "done."

No cream of tomato soup this year from ripe fruit left on the counter! I just don't understand that "industrial approach" to things. Well, I do but one develops a relationship with a couple of tomatoes after looking at them every day for several weeks ;). Then, the day that the 3 or 4 of you can't put off any longer . . . it's soup!

Thessaloniki was the 1st heirloom that I grew deliberately. It came after I learned that I'd been growing heirlooms all along! Yeah, I nearly always grew one called "Large Red Cherry." When I lived 500 feet higher in elevation, I grew "Sub-artic." When I moved from there to a lower elevation, I was in a hurry to grow "Earlianna." Who would have thought that these are all considered heirlooms?! I mean, they don't have names like Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter, or Box Car Willy's, or Rainbow Amos . . :p!!

I didn't grow Thessaloniki because it is a good keeper. I grew it because a friend had it in his garden and I got seeds stuck on my shirt while sampling one . . . Naw, I'm kidding :p! But, I did get a couple of tomatoes from him and saved the seed. I'm not sure how I should or shouldn't recommend it. It was a commercial variety in the 1950's, as I understand it. Brought from the Greek city by that name. It doesn't have much trouble with cracking, makes an attractive, red-orange tomato about the size of Early Girl or larger. Many of them will ripen in my garden :).

Steve