Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a really good look at an American Woodcock today when I was out morel hunting! I have a pic on my DH's iPhone, but haven't downloaded it yet. Probably not a great pic because they really blend in with the leaf litter. He made a semi-circle around me, slowly shuffling to get away and stopped to fan his tail feathers a couple of times. This is what they look like (pic from Cornell), funny little birds...
AmericanWoodcock-Vyn_080407_0014.jpg

Also saw a Brown Thrasher in my backyard yesterday, a new bird for my life list. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually see/hear one every time I go out there each year, but usually they fly away. I think this one must have been trying to lure me away from their nest, sorta like killdeer do. It didn't hurry to walk away either. It was really neat!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a Baltimore Oriole yesterday, and have been hearing him today, too. Guess they are not called Baltimore anymore. I am expecting him to come to the kitchen window and attack his reflection, as they have done in years past.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen a Baltimore Oriole since I was a kid. I guess I need to invest in some oranges to lure them in.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had intended to get the hummer feeders out and hung up early in the month. I had actually got to the point of making up their food while I was chatting to my sister on the phone, when I look out the glass door and there's a hummer hovering, looking back at me!
I thought I read reproach and disappointment on that little face.

I raced around and collected the feeders, filled and hung them, but haven't seen my little friend again.:(

It seemed early to spot one, but since I didn't mark last years first hummer on the calender I don't know.
I just hope she doesn't spread the word about my poor hospitality!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, i was too late last year, and they never came to the feeders after i finally got them out. People have reported seeing them the last few days in our valley so TODAY'S the day to make hummer food!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't hear that the Baltimore Oriole had a name change. I have both the Baltimore Oriole and the Orchard Oriole (dark race?) around here. Haven't seen either Oriole yet this spring.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually don't have the pleasure of seeing orioles, but do occasionally see these little yellow warblers in the swamp. I can't remember the name exactly, it starts with a "P". I do know that it is hard for me to spell and pronunciation.

Latest posts