Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Prothonotary? :p thats jst a guess and i'm not even sure i spelled it correctly. Its too early in the morning for me to open the bird book and see if they are yellow, silly thing for a birder to say huh?!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah that's it, or at least I think that's the yellow bird that I'm talking about. I've never seen it in a whole, but there are plenty of old trees around. I'll have to stalk it a little farther next time.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got a really good look at an American Woodcock today when I was out morel hunting! I have a pic on my DH's iPhone, but haven't downloaded it yet. Probably not a great pic because they really blend in with the leaf litter. He made a semi-circle around me, slowly shuffling to get away and stopped to fan his tail feathers a couple of times. This is what they look like (pic from Cornell), funny little birds...
AmericanWoodcock-Vyn_080407_0014.jpg

Also saw a Brown Thrasher in my backyard yesterday, a new bird for my life list. :)

Cool sighting! Sort of looks like a snipe, with short legs. I see the Wilson Snipe occasionally sitting on the posts by the pond.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't seen a Baltimore Oriole since I was a kid. I guess I need to invest in some oranges to lure them in.

The Baltimore Orioles also LOVE grape jelly. They always return right around May 1st here. The kids gave me this neat oriole feeder a few years ago, it has a jelly dish and a dowel for an orange...
Picture 8325 1.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have an indigo bunting regularly visiting my feeder! Under the eaves of the porch, he looked black and I was baffled as to what kind of bird it was. Then he flew off and I could see the beautiful blue. I had a bag of small parrot food that was given to me for my parakeets, but they won't eat it, so I put it in the feeder. I think that's what brought him in. I see them every so often along fields and hedgerows, but this is the first time I've had one at the feeder. I tried to get his pic, but without a zoom lens, he just looks like a blue dot on the powerline nearby. :p

Latest posts