Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen a new bird in the backyard. The first time I spotted him out the window I thought he was a Robin, which btw I haven't seen any of yet, but with a closer look was obviously not. This morning I got out my book and identified him as a Varied Thrush. I heard his song yesterday morning while I was outside. He has a very simple unique song. I hope he sticks around!
This is what he looks like, the picture isn't mine, I got it from the Cornell site.View attachment 1525
When I first saw this pic, I thought it was an Oriole. Those beautiful male birds show up at my window nearly every summer, attacking the window with a vengeance. Occasionally one will bloody his head, slinging droplets all over the area. I even put paper over the window, but it doesn't stop them. Bird brains.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I first saw this pic, I thought it was an Oriole. Those beautiful male birds show up at my window nearly every summer, attacking the window with a vengeance. Occasionally one will bloody his head, slinging droplets all over the area. I even put paper over the window, but it doesn't stop them. Bird brains.

My neighbor has trouble with window pecking Robins, I've never heard of Orioles doing that. That is one bloody aggressive Oriole. :D

I put grape jelly out, they show up right around May 1 and come to the feeders all summer.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is one of my resident pileated woodpeckers. Not great pics, just quick shots out the window, but it's all the proof I could get at the moment. :D

Picture 9118.jpg

Here's a tree he is working on over by the pond...

Picture 9087.jpg

Picture 9088 1.jpg

While not a sighting, just wanted to share... this is what they can do when you're not paying attention. We try not to disturb the natural habitat, but we had to drop the top of this tree before it fell on the house. :eek:

Picture 3128.jpg

Picture 3132.jpg

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very nice lavender!! I love that we have those here, big bright birds are scarce around here, especially in the winter.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We try to keep suet out for them, much easier in Winter when you don't have to fight off the coons!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, Lavender I never knew they would do that much damage. We have small woodpeckers in our yard- but the holes they make wouldn't compromise a tree like that! Such beautiful creatures...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, Lavender I never knew they would do that much damage. We have small woodpeckers in our yard- but the holes they make wouldn't compromise a tree like that! Such beautiful creatures...

Both of these trees had some storm damage years earlier and were likely dieing and infested with beatles or the pileated's favorite, carpenter ants. The tree next to it had a nest cavity up higher. Luckily this tree was leaning away from the house.

CIMG7334.JPG

I have trouble with the downy woodpeckers pecking on my cedar siding :somad .. our fault, for putting off staining for longer than we should. Got it done last summer and have not had them knocking since! :clap

Last edited:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender, the ones in my neighborhood go after our cedar shakes too. This house is old, and has had stain on it for 80 plus years. Doesn't deter them one bit... Never understood why pigeons get such a bad rap. They are kind of amazing, if you think about how they have adapted, to live right in the middle of civilization....

Latest posts