Brussels Sprouts too leafy?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey this is my first real post here at TEG. I don't really know what I'm doing but I'll try.

Dad always had the best dagonne sprouts I've ever tasted and there about 6 or 7 nice looking plants out there now - among lots of weeds. Today I inspected the little sprouts to see if harvest time is drawing near. They are still quite small so I'll have to wait a few more weeks.

I noticed that most of the little sprouts appear to be too leafy. If I rely on being able to peel off the loose leaves the sprouts will be much too small. I would include a picture if I knew how. I'll learn that little trick eventually.

What do you folks think caused the leafy condition and what would be a recommended course of action next time.

Thanks.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted about 6 varieties this year striving to avoid what you are describing. A few did just as you described and many others are terrific. I hope I get to write down the good ones-one of the many things I may forget to do. I will let you know what the good ones are but they may not do well in your area. It could also be the weeds causing the sprouts to be small. I find some of the lower sprouts are leafy. That really indicates they are over grown. So peel off the leaves and eat the little sprouts-they will be delicious.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are 6 varieties of Brussels sprouts?

This is the first year I have grown them and I'm trying to like them. There are some in the oven right now with baking winter squash :).

@buckabucka told us that she pinches the tops off about September 1st so that is what I did. I saw no sprouts on them then but they began to develop after that.

Honestly Smiles, I have gardening skills gained over a number of decades. I just don't know what I'm up to with these. Hopefully, they will come out of that oven and I'll enjoy them ...

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grow "Gustus". I can't get those red ones (Falstaff? Diablo?) to grow here.
I think the key to enjoying them is to really brown the outside, so they are nice and caramelized. I do par-boil first.
Let us know how they were!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is my first year growing them too. So far all I've got is nice, pretty, leafy plants about 12" tall. :)

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't grown them for a long time, but I suggest you clear the weeds and see if they continue to bulk up now that the weather is getting colder. My recollection is that the side sprouts filled out rapidly as we got into Fall, and folks say they taste sweeter too after several frosts. Good luck with them, @Smiles !

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brussels sprouts drive me crazy. :barnie I came really close this year on my third try and I think I have some ideas of what needs done differently next year.

They say the heads won't develop correctly in warm weather and they do better in the Pacific NW. But I have driven by and seen nice sprouts in other people's gardens, so I am not giving up yet. :p I am not going to plant them too early again and I don't know why they sell transplants in the spring for them here. The weather gets hot too fast, not much transition. I believe that loose leafiness is from bolting in the hot weather of August. Mine were ready by the end of July, really bad timing with the heat, and I left them on there too long and they got tough and bitter and were also loose.

If I can get the timing right for direct sowing a fall planting, I think I will do better and let them go into winter as far as they can. My ag extension garden calendar says to direct seed them on July 1st and I tried that last year and they still didn't turn out; the plants were still too small by this time. I need to do some calculating with the days-to-maturity. They are really heavy feeders too and I probably need to fertilize a couple times while they're growing and space them out farther and mulch. I'd guess the weeds competing with yours made the heads small. They also have to be pruned a particular way for the sprouts to fill out, taking off the bottom third of the leaves as the sprouts start to develop and remove more later. I was told to pinch the tops back too.

Better luck next year!! :fl

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are my most fav veggie. Can't grow them here - too warm. But I do buy the stalks with at least 35 - 45 sprouts on them from the farm stand. $3.50 a stalk. Hardly worth trying to grow them for that price

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang nation!!

DW has now decided she likes Brussels sprouts!

I just used my common rice vinegar:soysauce:0il marinade at 1:1:.5 ratio .... I couldn't go 'em with balsamic vinegar before. Dim dang it! Now I'll be needing to continue trying to learn to like 'em. @Smart Red said just keep a tall glass of water beside the plate ...

oooh.
Steve

Latest posts