Brussels Sprouts too leafy?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey this is my first real post here at TEG. I don't really know what I'm doing but I'll try.

Dad always had the best dagonne sprouts I've ever tasted and there about 6 or 7 nice looking plants out there now - among lots of weeds. Today I inspected the little sprouts to see if harvest time is drawing near. They are still quite small so I'll have to wait a few more weeks.

I noticed that most of the little sprouts appear to be too leafy. If I rely on being able to peel off the loose leaves the sprouts will be much too small. I would include a picture if I knew how. I'll learn that little trick eventually.

What do you folks think caused the leafy condition and what would be a recommended course of action next time.

Thanks.
Smiles, Jr. Could we see a real photo of your Dad? I always wondered what he really looked like.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We absolutely love them. I just simmer them in water, then dress them with acv. Ava loves them too and will try to take them right off your plate! I need to try some fancier ways of cooking them. If I could buy them fresh like that, murphysranch, I would stockpile them!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
the few times i had them i drizzled a little Italian or Greek dressing on them and roast them in the oven. this year i had 3 different types started: Half Dwarf, Catskill and Long Island. the Half Dwarf seems to be doing the best and have small sprouts but i forgot to top mine. i'm still learning what i need to do to get them growing full and big.

my mom used to over cook Brussel Sprouts when i was a kid so i never liked to eat them and would run at their sight. now i enjoy them if they're cooked just right.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the few times i had them i drizzled a little Italian or Greek dressing on them and roast them in the oven. this year i had 3 different types started: Half Dwarf, Catskill and Long Island. the Half Dwarf seems to be doing the best and have small sprouts but i forgot to top mine. i'm still learning what i need to do to get them growing full and big.

my mom used to over cook Brussel Sprouts when i was a kid so i never liked to eat them and would run at their sight. now i enjoy them if they're cooked just right.
thats funny mom did the same thing either over cooked them or scorched them by letting the pot run dry and still served them.thank goodness she only served them a couple times a year,now 45+ years later like them again..

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they get sweeter when there is a hard frost on them. My 3 little Grandsons gobbled them down tonight. Sleepover. Wait that is a misnomer. They will I'm sure take turns sleeping. The oldest just puked for the 6th time. Doesn't want to go home.....

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@majorcatfish your post made me smile, i didn't know you could cook a porkchop any way but shoe leather hard or brussel sprouts any way but mush till i got married and started cooking myself. found lots of things i actually liked after that.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Brussel Sprouts last year because I never liked them. I figured it was time to give them another chance, but I still don't like them. It is hot here, so I grew them through the winter.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the way to Mother's house today, I stopped by the fav veggie stand. I saw the long sticks of BSprouts last Sunday when I passed by, but today? NOTHING!!! They said they won't be getting any more in! So I'll have to buy them at the grocery store....gasp....Thanksgiving is ruined, without sprouts!

Latest posts