Can Someone help me with Irises?

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found some DARK purple ones that could be black! I LOVE purple. And these will really pop with the dark purple that's already growing in the yard!

Got them at Lowe's for $7.00! Woohoo!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As soon as I saw this pop back up I realizes its time to spilt my irises for next year. They are so WAY over grown into each other. If only I could remember at this point which was which?

I would LOVE to see how dark a purple that one is?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have one that is such a dark purple it looks black at a distance. I have a burgundy one that looks the same way also.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fancy irises are gorgeous. Some now come as rebloomers which is a wonderful fall treat. All of the big companies sell irises on line. I would look for a company that specializes in irises. The rizomes will double again and again. You can split them easily. One of the most beautiful ones that i have had was the batik iris-It died our after a few seasons. Use your zone chart to determine which ones will be hardy for you. They are very easy to grow and will last forever. The batik is the only one I have lost. It's worth it though. The old fashioned ones will give you a longer blooming season. I got some from my mothers property many years ago. The originals were probably 50 years old and they are going strong. Keep your receipts from any growers that you buy from. If they do not grow they will reimburse you or give you a credit.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I buy iris from Sutton's Iris Farm, they have a website and they ship all over. I've been buying from them for over 10 years and they'll ship when it's right for your zone and throw in some freebies.

pretty40acres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have so many that I planted at different times that I divide mine every year and give away bunches!:watering

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
skeeter9 said:
Hi Rodriguez. I have tons of bearded iris on a gravely, hot, dry bank behind my house. They take very little care at all and I have never had any pest or disease issues, but I'm in a different area of the country than you are. I absolutely love mine. Maybe you could check with your local gardening clubs, etc and see what they have to say about growing iris in your area?
The gophers ate my 300+ divisions last summer. This spring I had to dig around, clean up what was left and replant. Pitiful looking. Mine are in a bed, sorta under a CA oak tree, not much sun anymore, but they do get regular watering.
I fought gophers in my vegetable garden for years. traps. (they're very smart-hard to catch), bombs, fences, dog poop down their holes, neighbors with guns.
I finally put gopher poison in their holes and the problem has greatly diminished. I did not take poisoning them lightly for many reasons including their suffering. I just could not take it anymore-their eating all my hard work.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Irises will grow just about anywhere. I live in the desert and mine are beautiful. They do require full sun though or just a little shade. Rebloomers need more water in the summer than the regular varieties so they have the energy to rebloom in the fall. Other than that they are drought tolerant. They don't like a lot of water and will rot if they have too much so in a very rainy area they should be planted in raised beds or ground with good drainage.

Latest posts