Changing things up.....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sad to say I am being dragged along with technology as well. Son will often not answer his phone and never 'does' voice mail so texting him a message is how I get him to call back.

In the past I have had store clerks text my questions to son, but now I almost know where all the letters are. I seldom need a magnifying glass to send texts anymore.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser good tip, palm hardy to zone 6 with winter protection. I going to try one.Have unheated solar shed I can overwinter in.
Shed is good, you could also try strategic planting like planting on south side of building. If you're looking for cacti you could try something like Eastern Prickly Pear or "Starvation Cactus." They're are actually quite a few cacti out there that are fine with colder temps.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I bought AND PUT IN BEDS the same day!!! (THAT's a first), some impatiens on clearance at WalMart. Don't remember planting impatiens before but the tag said "Full Shade" and they had them full sun, so they had died back some, but looked good after I put them a bucket with water, first. Think I'm gonna go back for some more. I have them now in a partial shade bed with begonias and geraniums. They ARE gonna get some shade.
Anyway, impulse buying and a good deal!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love impatiens they just flower nonstop till frost !! They can take sun if they get plenty of water, in heat of day they might droop alittle but spring back in evening.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes to what Nyboy said about impatiens in the sun needing plenty of water. They do their best in full to mostly shade, but take morning sun better than the hot afternoon sun. The newer Guinea impatiens are supposed to do well in both sun and shade. They also cost a lot more.

I usually plant them along my sidewalk to the front door. Long time color from those blooming lovelies.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally got some photos into the computer to share. Yay! Kid#2 wrote me a detailed tutorial on loading them, I told him to write it as though he were teaching someone who had never seen a computer. :p He did, and I managed to understand it all. :)

So here are the before, and now pictures.

This was about a week after planting.
DSCN2850.JPG

DSCN2847.JPG

These are from about 2 weeks ago.

DSCN2878.JPG

DSCN2879.JPG

DSCN2881.JPG

DSCN2883.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
They look really good Thistle. What is in them? I can tell what some of the plants are but not others. Is this the house that had the elephant ears planted in pots in that spot?

Mary

Latest posts