Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
A chicken farmer in my town sells warm eggs for $8.00 a doz. Rich people will buy them.
Smoke and mirrors snake oil salesman hard at work... Take eggs from the refrigerator then set them out on the front porch in the sun to warm up, then put up a sign warm eggs fresh from the hen. Increase the price substantially . Ka Ching $$$ :lol:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going to a chicken show on Saturday. Supposed to be really pretty weather that day and I'm about as ready as I'll ever be for it. I actually bathed two chickens today~something I never thought I'd ever find myself doing~in readiness for this show.

They seemed to tolerate it well, standing calmly for almost an hour as I blow dried the feathers before returning them to their pen. They also seem to feel pretty good afterwards....they seem to have a prouder walk, higher tail and brighter look to them. Who knew?

I can't see myself doing this again, as it took me 4 solid hours for two birds...and I even had help. :thThere are no cash awards for this show, though it's a nationally known show and supposedly big stuff, it's mostly for the bragging rights, I guess. I'm not very competitive, so none of that means much to me....I'm more proud of what they produce than how many ribbons they might win.

Anyhoo...just another event in this life with chickens that I can mark down as something I've done. Don't want to ever do it again.... :th :D

It's a beautiful, sunny and very breezy day here and I wish I weren't so worn out from bathing chickens...there's so much to do here and the weather is so right for it. :love

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sure seemed to have taken a long time! It's too bad there isn't some type of cash prize or gift certificates for all of your efforts. Good luck!

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not too sure about bathing your rabbit, Nyboy. I don't think bunnies like water all that much. Remember the killer rabbit that attacked President Carter? I suspect it was being in the water that 'turned' him into a threat.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've washed those before going to a fair show...just washed the feet, but not the whole rabbit. That's pretty easy by letting them stand in a shallow pan of water, letting them soak in some laundry whitener, then lathering them up after that.

I wouldn't wash those unless going to a show, though. Bunnies are supposed to have yeller feets.