Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Not good for animals to be bathed...robs them of their natural oils in the hair and protective layer of dust on the skin.

Yah, that used to be the reason many people gave for not bathing. That and bathing "weakens" the body.

Then there is the noted Napoleon Bonaparte. He would take time out during his military campaigns to write to his wife regularly. In a rather famous one of these, he wrote: "Beloved, I shall return in two weeks. Do not bathe until I come back. I want you to smell the same as when I left you".

Not bathing -- a love story makes.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember once reading in dark ages people bathed 2x a year, their birthday and Easter. I don't know how they where able to stand it. I am glade in my part of the country, dogs live inside so owner's want them clean.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember once reading in dark ages people bathed 2x a year, their birthday and Easter. I don't know how they where able to stand it. I am glade in my part of the country, dogs live inside so owner's want them clean.
The more well-to-do people of the middle ages did that. The peons may have gone through their whole lives without a bath.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well....went to the show. One or two words can describe it....anticlimactic and BORING. And that's not a word I use very often, as I'm very rarely bored in my life...but a chicken show is only second to watching NASCAR on the boredom scale, and both are just behind watching paint dry. :th

Both of my birds won something, if you can call it that....I didn't stay for the awards ceremony as it was going to be 2-3 hrs longer if I had stayed for that. I couldn't imagine staying there that long! o_O The cockerel won Reserve in Variety, the pullet won Best in Variety and Reserve in Breed...which meant nothing at all, really, as there were no other birds there of their variety and only a few others of their breed.

I've been mentally kicking myself all day for going through all that effort, losing all that time, and building up to something so incredibly rinky dink and boring. :\

One valuable thing, though....I learned something. I learned I don't ever want to show chickens again. :D That's got to be only second to collecting stamps as one of the most boring hobbies on Earth. :rolleyes:

The birds were visibly relieved to get back home and I fully understood....a whole lot of standing around and waiting is just not our thing.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's the basic chicken show...a lot of crowing, but everything is in a cage and they ain't happy about it. Especially my free rangers, that have never been in a cage in their lives....they look bewildered and tired from standing in one spot for half the day.

I'll never do that again. Poor birds trust me for a good life and that ain't it. :rolleyes:

Latest posts