Dahlias

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ferncliff Gardens...this is a wonderful nursery that grows lots of beautiful Dahlias (and other flowers) in Canada.... They have a nice web-site and I'm sure they have something you'll want to have. If I had a way to get some across the border to you...I would...you're not far from me. Check out Ferncliff....very nice place. Good Luck! Rusty Hart (Irish Acres)

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Spring!!!! 71 degrees here today in Northern Michigan....can't believe how nice it is. Maybe in 4-5 weeks I can get some dahlias planted in the ground...(?):/....I hope! The business where I work grows lots of plants for other businesses...and my boss sometimes gets her dahlias from me....Thank God!!! Here are some of the flowers we grew for the "Grand Hotel" on Mackinac Island...(Michigan)....some may recognize this Hotel from the movie.."Somewhere in Time"..starring Chris. Reeves. The tall pink flowers are Dahlias that I grow....the variety is "Helen Richmond". Still have spots of snow here and there...but with this warmth and light rain...it should all be gone soon. Crossing my fingers...:D Happy Spring planting!!!!!
7566_mackinaw_island_9_20_09_068.jpg
BTW....the big, ugly plant with the sunglasses and "Potted" belly is me.....

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know...love this weather.... :cool: Today was the first day I have opened my windows to the house since last October. I just hope it stays and doesn't drop a "Cold" bomb on us next month when I want to do some serious planting.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No less of a person than Luther Burbank said, "Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food, and medicine to the soul."

Yes Thistle', between the clouds and wind, I had to complete close the greenhouse at 1pm.

Besides informing me of everything important I needed to know by 5 years of age, Hans Christian Andersen told us, "Just living is not enough . . . One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."

Rusty has proof that a big flower is more convincing :cool:!

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
sure! they all can be grown in pots. the larger ones will need a larger pot so the tubers can have enough room to spread out! just make sure to dig them out of the pot after their first hard frost and store them.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oooh...Rusty, you help grow for the Grand Hotel? That's cool.

How are the dahlias coming along this season?

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello everyone..... I lost a ton of my tubers this Winter (about 80 % of my total tubers) One main door to the basement was not closed all of the way in April when we got that shot of VERY cold weather..just cold enough to freeze the tubers closest to the exit....my own stupid fault.....no one lives at the old farmhouse anymore....so no one would have noticed the basement door....over 50 varieties will have to be replaced......I was able to save about 50 varieties (a few each) and only planted about 400 plants this year. Luckily my rarest heirloom varieties were saved.....Thank God!!!! I have 6....110 foot rows in the garden this year of Dahlias....one full row of "Madame Butterfly" Snapdragons.....one row of "Giant Benary" Zinnias.....one of annual Poppies....and one of Cleome.....all used for the cut flower market. Plus I keep my Herbs and heirloom veggies going....along with the 60 sheep and my Pyncheon Bantams..... We are cutting hay this weekend and thru most of the week. "Make hay when the sun shines!" Hope to get about 1,500 square bales in for the long Winter ahead. I hope everyone else is having a nice growing season and had better luck with their tubers than I did. I hope everyone has a very Happy Independence Day.... warmest regards, Rusty
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_042.jpg

Latest posts