Decorating with flair!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is/was an awful selfie! NOT suitable for an avatar. I can't stand it, so it's gone. Wish the real thing was gone as well. These are not the colors I would have chosen for my facial up-date.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two new questions . . .

What could/should be done with the "alcove" space.
dining alcove.JPG
It was built for a 50 gallon fish tank. Don't want one anymore. We are looking for ideas. Shelving was suggested and quickly eliminated by DS.

Also, there's not much I can do with a hallway, but that's the next 'room' to be attacked. Any suggestions?
hall1.JPG
hall2.JPG

The old school lights stay, otherwise, I am open to suggestions.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like the functional idea of shelves, but if that's been nixed, how about a really interesting carved or colorful room divider folded through the alcove? I've seen a lot of pretty ones lately. I have a narrow hall, too, as many old homes do. I'm adding skylights and putting small framed photos on the wall kind of like a collage.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd give them a fresh coat of white semi-gloss for easy cleaning and then paint the doors and trim a pretty color that pleases your eye, instead of decorating the walls. In a narrow hallway no one really has room or lighting enough to appreciate intricate decorating schemes, and clutter on the walls can make the hallway just seem more narrow.

Can you remove that alcove altogether or is that a supporting beam on the edge? If it's not supporting anything, removing it can open up your room and make it seem bigger.

If removing it is not an option, then shelves would seem the likely choice as they provide so much versatility in storage and/or display.

Last edited:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dang, I missed your new make-up, but WOW what a change in your rooms, I love the new look! I'm glad you like how it turned out!

Would the alcove work for a sitting bench?, or would it be out of place there? ... a short back on one side, bench cushion, a couple small pillows, maybe a plant hanging above. OR what about building a nice wooden box for a planter.

The only thing I can think of for breaking up the walls in a longish hallway is chair rail and two tones of paint. I have a bunch of photos of the kids and grands in my hallway.:)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sure like most grandparent you have a large collection of art work from the kids. I would turn the alcove in to a mini art gallery. Pick out the ones you like the best, frame and hang . You and Gypsy can shop for frames, I got some of my best frames at thrift stores cheap. Get creative on how you arrange on wall

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about hanging some plants where the fish tank was. Looks like there is plenty of natural light. I like @Lavender2 's idea of chair rail and two color scheme.

Latest posts