Decorating with flair!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of ideas to get me thinking. . . . Thanks, ya'll!

The dining room light has always been worth what I paid for it. It used to hang in the dining room where we rehabbed a church into a house for Mom and Dad. She gave it to me when she got something newer -- not a light with special memories.

I put it in the dining room because it needed to be somewhere and the price was right. I think I'd like something more modern and easier to clean.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red did you say you rehabbed a church to house? How cool I have been in a few homes like that. I love when people think outside the box, when it cames to making a home.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the (now messy) view from the entrance hall through the living room. The new color will be seen almost as soon as you enter the front door.
dining front hall thru living room.JPG

I do love my dining room set. I found it at an auction house for $350 some 20 or so years ago. DH thought that was way too much to pay so we went looking for a new set. While none of the new ones looked as solid as this set, the prices ran quickly through $1000, $2000, $3000. DH decided this set look much better at second glance than he had first thought. The table top had one bad spot, but I always keep it covered. I am thinking of getting the set refurbished and the table top fixed so it fits the newly updated decorating plan. The buffet --
dining buffet.JPG

The China hutch -- and one of the chairs
dining china.JPG

Can't show the table right now. It is filled with China hutch guts and misc. as yet unhomed things from the dining room and kitchen cleaning and decluttering.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Prequel here: I don't think I mentioned my intention to go through the entire house and finish all the little things that never got done when we built it. At the same time I decided to update its look. I started in the half bath off the kitchen. Did the kitchen as much as I can until warmer weather allows DS to work in the wood shop. The dining room was next. That's where we are today.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of work, but it will be like a new house again when you're done. Good for you!
I am so far behind my own schedule of declutter and painting that I was going to do this winter....I need to take a page from your book and get with it!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup! Take a page from my book and have someone else paint it. The paint is going on even as I type. While I have long been the family wall painter, DS is doing a better and neater job than I could.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I f the brick is making things too dark you can give it a white wash to lighten it up. Like the bricks that are already a bit white. Not solid in paint just a light coat.

Latest posts