Decorating with flair!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The value of my old pieces is the pleasure I get from looking at them and using them. If refinishing them makes them more attractive to me, then I'm going to refinish it. What are the chances of anything I own being some valuable discovery at Antiques Roadshow anyway?
Just about the same as a snowball in the Hot Place. (And I'm not talking about Texas. :D )
Thistle, I'm with you. For 35 years I have argued with my husband about painting our dark wooden trim to white. He resists because they are "original". Do I care about "original"? No! I just want white trim because it would look fabulous with my gray walls.

Mary

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to go with the paint peeve, beautiful wood should not be covered up.

The new owners of my grandmothers 1920 colonial home painted all the gorgeous wood white. The beautiful maple kitchen, built in book shelf and hutch in the breakfast nook, everything... it was sad and ugly. Two years later they were selling the house. :(

@Smart Red , I'm afraid I would be no help with your updating, I like the looks of an antique dining room. I would probably paint it boring beige, look for an antique looking lace or sheer curtain, and that pretty chandelier would be staying.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some orginal woodwork was ment to be painted. High end woods where used on 1 st floor public rooms. But upstairs private rooms would use much cheaper wood that was then painted.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, for you paint the dining table people..... cringe........ I was pointing out that Red could clean the furniture with Goop hand cleaner, preserve it's integrity and have her dining set look all shiny new again. Much easier than strip, sand, refinish anyhow..... :plbb

Latest posts